All 190 door panels ...

Has anybody thought of an ingenious way to repair the tops of 190 doors where the MB tex separates from the pressboard. I have 3 of these (84, 87 and 93) and they all have the same problem. Apparently the MB tex shrinks and pulls the top edge loose where it goes into window slot. I wish someone would design an aftermarket fix (stainless trim with appropriate glue) so all of us could fix our doors!!!!

Reply to
joe caneen

How about reglue it with weatherstrip adhesive?

Reply to
Tiger

I don't know... seems like the material it has changed in size? Would require a lot of stretching and seems unikely it would ever look right/straight...

My drivers door looks good though, so I think that was replaced :~)

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I just tried to wrestle this alligator, and it kicked my butt. The problem is crappy glue, plus where its glued. Instead of spraying the entire fiber board panel with glue, and then pressing the MB tex vinyl to it, as any normal person would. these %$#@$#^ ! applied glue on the horizontal and vertical edges, and added two extra lines of glue above and below the grab handles to hold the vinyl flat! Students, what will happen to a panel glued in such a manner after one year of heat and sunlight? BUBBLES from air under the non-glued vinyl. Spraying the entire panel would have eliminated all this, because the grip of the glue would have been reinforced over the entire panel. Try pulling the vinyl to the edge, crazy glue it, and secure with C clamps over night....They want $200.oo each to renew with similarly glued panels !!?...........Rick

Reply to
r parris

Nothing works. Believe me. It's only a matter of time till whatever you do fails. The only, I repeat ONLY way to repair this is to source out a used panel or buy new. Period.

Reply to
odb

A Spanish W201 owner came up with a unique fix for the creeping covering. He had a leather trim piece made to cover the gap. Here's a link to the topic:

MTI