Alternator not charging? Battery light off? Here's a cheap fix.

I have a 1984 Turbo 300D. Battery light did not come on with ignition. Alternator was not charging. Did some research here on Google Groups, and first checked the charging indicator bulb behind the instrument
panel. It was fine. The belt was fine. The battery would take a charge. Six months ago I had replaced the brushes/regulator on the alternator, so I had a sinking feeling that this time the alternator itself was dead. However, I had kept the old Bosch regulator with the worn brushes, so did a comparison diode check with the contacts on the "new" aftermarket regulator (two slot screws take it out). Sure enough--fried diodes after six months. Rather than install another cheap product, I fired up my propane torch with a tiny flame, unsoldered the good brushes from the cheap one, and soldered them into the old Bosch regulator. (If you do this, be careful you don't overheat the diodes. Bingo--problem solved at no charge. Battery light now works, and alternator charges at 14 volts.
moral of the story, buy genuine and buy it once.
[...]

Marty
Labor for rework due to an inferior part does not count ??????????? Peter
said:

If this is directed at me I have no idea what you are talking about. I was simply pointing out that an original part was purchased with the car and it eventually failed. Marty