An explanation of diesel prices

Because there have been a lot of questions over the last while on the varying prices of diesel vs. gasoline:

John M. '94 E320 burns premium

Reply to
John Mauel

The link is g'ment two speak. The simple answer is we're being ripped off, and the oil companies have the approval of the administration to do so. Now the election is over the price of fuel is going to continue to increase.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Same as in the UK. Basically the scam is that in the winter, there is heavy demand for heating oil and that puts up the price of Diesel. In the summer there is no demand for heating oil, therefore less of it (and hence Diesel) is made, and this puts up the price!

Drinks all round for Halliburton!!!!

Reply to
Stratman

statements like this belie your ignorance

Reply to
127.0.0.1

Let's see. Which poll does this conclusion come from?

Reply to
fpharryc

Why is that a scam?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

That's not a scam, that is called 'supply and demand'. Look into bottled LPG prices, or coal prices. I recall my mum stocking up the coal bunker through the summer at the lower summer price ready for the coming winter - and that was YEARS ago. Mike W126 300SE 234,000 Miles W115 220

Reply to
Just Mike

No poll. Some of us still think for ourselves.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Some folks would apparently rather believe in scams and conspiracies, rather than learn basic economics, eg supply,demand and pricing. Sort of like a throwback to hundreds of years ago when it was believed illness was caused by demons rather than germs.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

and doing a piss poor job of it

Reply to
127.0.0.1

Halliburton doesn't sell gas or diesel. They are a drilling service company and KBR is their construction management company. The people making the real money are Shell, Exxon, Mobil, BP et al. But after

10-15 years of poor performance, I guess they are reaping a profit now. It probably all averages out. Speaking of raping....er reaping, anyone remember Enron?
Reply to
dkmcp

Me, I blame those witches: well known for boosting fuel prices. (It makes impulsive burnings-at-the-stake less affordable.)

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

don't confuse the idiots with facts

Reply to
127.0.0.1

Halliburton sells fuel to our armed forces in the middle east. The Pentagon is investigating alleged billing abuses.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

"How do you know she is a witch" "Well, she turned me into a newt!" "A Newt?" "i got better....burn her anyway!"

Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

Reply to
sdp1

A note has been made of your name. Thanks for volunteering. ;-)

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Too late! looks like you are already confused!

These companies have been make nice profits right along and have been raking in RECORD profits for the last two years.

Enron of course is GWB's very best buddies from Houston, who made the US energy policy in conjuction with the former CEO of haliburton (DICK Cheney). Big surprise they have fought tooth and nail to keep the "energy policy" meeting members secret.

Supply and demand requires a free market. Collusion between suppliers destroys this.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

yawn!

it's easier to find a conspiracy when you cannot grasp reality

Reply to
127.0.0.1

Reply to
Rockman59

Supply and demand requires a free market. Collusion between suppliers destroys this. ___________________________________________ How can you have a free market when states like Kalifornia haven't let the oil companies build a new refinery in 25 years? It will be just like when the lights finally went out here. For years experts were saying that Kalifornia was going to run out of genearting capacity but the "greenies" kept blocking any attemps to build new generation facilities...and sure enough, two years ago wh the blackouts started and Kalifornia had to buy power from outside sources and prices went crazy.....well, guess what. Now there are many new generating plants under construction and/or coming on line. Plus they have stepped up the building of windmill generators...and now no more power problems and prices have stabilized or gone down. When it gets to the point that gasoline is unavailabe and/or priced out of reach of the average comuter....then you will see more domestic oil production. Just like what happened when the electrical power went off.

Reply to
Rockman59