An explanation of diesel prices

Page 1 of 2
Because there have been a lot of questions over the last while on the varying prices of diesel vs. gasoline:
http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/twip/twip.asp
John M. '94 E320 burns premium

and the oil companies have the approval of the administration to do so. Now the election is over the price of fuel is going to continue to increase.

Let's see. Which poll does this conclusion come from?

No poll. Some of us still think for ourselves.

The reason fuel prices will continue to increase is pretty simple...supply and demand. As China and India continue to expand their industries they are using more oil. Combine that with the normal world oil useage and the fact that the US economy continues to grow and you have more demand for oil. If you want to see lower oil prices in the US two things need to happen. We must start increasing domestic production and refining capabilities and limit or reduce the amount of oil we are currently using. As long as the US is primarliy dependent on foreign production we are going to continue to pay higher prices. I reside in an area of Kalifornia where the average price is $2.49 a gallon for regular gas, probably the highest in the country unless you are talking about areas such as downtown San Francisco where the prices can be 20 cents or more a gallon higher. A year ago the price was around $1.75 a gallon. But one thing for sure, there is as much or more traffic in the streets now. People just pay the price and keep driving. __________________________________________

other reasons are political instability in many producing countries, a shortage of shipping, requirements for low sulphur fuel and a weak US dollar
| Because there have been a lot of questions over the last while on the | varying prices of diesel vs. gasoline: | | http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/twip/twip.asp | | John M. | '94 E320 burns premium | |
Same as in the UK. Basically the scam is that in the winter, there is heavy demand for heating oil and that puts up the price of Diesel. In the summer there is no demand for heating oil, therefore less of it (and hence Diesel) is made, and this puts up the price!
Drinks all round for Halliburton!!!!

Why is that a scam?
DAS
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:35:23 -0000, "Stratman" wrote:

That's not a scam, that is called 'supply and demand'. Look into bottled LPG prices, or coal prices. I recall my mum stocking up the coal bunker through the summer at the lower summer price ready for the coming winter - and that was YEARS ago. Mike W126 300SE 234,000 Miles W115 220

Some folks would apparently rather believe in scams and conspiracies, rather than learn basic economics, eg supply,demand and pricing. Sort of like a throwback to hundreds of years ago when it was believed illness was caused by demons rather than germs.
     snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net "Chet Hayes" writes:

Me, I blame those witches: well known for boosting fuel prices. (It makes impulsive burnings-at-the-stake less affordable.) -- Andrew Stephenson
On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:07:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson) wrote:

"Well, she turned me into a newt!" "A Newt?" "i got better....burn her anyway!"
Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)
     snipped-for-privacy@aol.com "sdp1" writes:

A note has been made of your name. Thanks for volunteering. ;-) -- Andrew Stephenson

Halliburton doesn't sell gas or diesel. They are a drilling service company and KBR is their construction management company. The people making the real money are Shell, Exxon, Mobil, BP et al. But after 10-15 years of poor performance, I guess they are reaping a profit now. It probably all averages out. Speaking of raping....er reaping, anyone remember Enron?
On 5 Nov 2004 07:03:16 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (dkmcp) wrote:

Too late! looks like you are already confused!
These companies have been make nice profits right along and have been raking in RECORD profits for the last two years.
Enron of course is GWB's very best buddies from Houston, who made the US energy policy in conjuction with the former CEO of haliburton (DICK Cheney). Big surprise they have fought tooth and nail to keep the "energy policy" meeting members secret.
Supply and demand requires a free market. Collusion between suppliers destroys this.
Marty
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 21:13:54 -0800, Martin Joseph

it's easier to find a conspiracy when you cannot grasp reality

Halliburton sells fuel to our armed forces in the middle east. The Pentagon is investigating alleged billing abuses.