Another dashboard light

On my brand new 1988 w124, the orange 'broken light' indicator comes on intermittently. The manual says it should come on when a light is activated and one of the bulbs is broken. None of the lights seem to be
broken however and I'm not switching anything on or off when it comes on.
Any idea what's the most likely cause of this?
Thanks, X.
One or more lights are not functioning correctly because of a poor electrical contact. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Check the rear lights by opening the trunk and twisting the sockets slightly. Simultaneously observe the 'broken light indicator' through the rear window. The bad lamp indicator should turn ON and OFF when you move the 'intermittent' connection. The little tabs of the bad socket are not making a good contact. It would help if someone is looking at both the front and rear lights while you test them. I am pretty sure that there is only one that is intermittent...
Xenna wrote:

Hernando Correa wrote:

Thanks Hernando. I'm going to try this.
Ximinez
I had the same problem a while back. It ended up being a front running light. I just replaced all the runing lights, and it was happy.
I had this problem...so I fiddled around with the tail lights. Still not fixed. Then about 2 weeks later it healed itself. Go figure.
It happens when an electrical contact is borderline bad. It becomes intermittent and it cures itself when the weather is hot or cold... who knows.
I had the same problem with the right rear stop light in my SLK230. It was fine for weeks at a time and then, on a hot day, there it failed again. In my case it was the printed circuit board that is part of the tail assembly. The bulb is mounted in a socket and the socket's contacts 'slide' in the printed circuit traces when twisted. The PCB trace was damaged and made an imperfect contact that often healed itself as it expanded and/or contracted due to temperature changes. To fix it, I had to remove the whole light's tail assembly and repair the bad trace. The socket showed burnt marks in one of the two electrical tabs, so it was easy to identify the problem area.
Kenny Mims wrote:

Xenna wrote:

I think I found the culprit. A small lamp in one of the from headlight units was a bit loose. I fixed it so I guess it'll be alright from now on.
Thanks!
X.