Another question 83 300D oil change

Hello again,
While I messing with the fuel issue, I want to do an oil change on the car. I have never had a diesel vehicle before, but I have change the
oil on plenty of cars. Is there anything I need to know? I do not have a manual to reference so i do not know how mcuh oil it needs, what type of filter etc.. Can anyone treat me as a rookie and helpo me though this? I know my way around, I just don't want to blow it.
aaron

Parts stores like autozone can look it up if you ask.
With diesel engine, wear disposable glove... the black oil is hard to clean off your hand. Everything else is similar to other MB.
One thing that I didn't know when I got my diesel is that there isn't a little canister oil filter located on the engine somewhere. It is located in that strange housing behind the injection pump. I typically turn a bag inside out over my hand, grab onto the handle on the filter, and lift out as straight as possible to minimize drips on my driveway. Then I push the bag down over the filter and flip the whole thing over. Voila! Contained filter with almost no mess.
Buy two gallon jugs of Delo 400 15-40 and a filter. The engine and filter take 7.5 L which is about 8 qts so all the Delo will be used. A caution is to not over tighten the two nuts on the oil filter housing.
After the oil change the "new" oil will very soon be black, that's normal, don't expect anything different.
Change oil and filter every 5K miles, adjust the valves every 15K miles and the motor will run very well.
--

2008 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.
-->> T.G. Lambach <<-- wrote:

My '79 takes about 6.5 quarts to reach the full mark on the dipstick. My '85 takes right around 8. So when I do the '79, sometimes I forget and just pour two gallons in. I figure it'll burn the extra oil soon enough (usually just in time for the next oil change!). <sigh>
-tom!
If you fill a car with too much oil it can be very very bad. If the level of the oil is high enough that the crank can whip it into a frothy mess, then that will get sucked up by your oil pump and cause oil starvation. This will kill your engine. Apparently an extra 1.5 quarts isn't enough to kill a 617 engine. However, I'd suggest to everyone to try not to go over the full mark.
Bill