Any opinions on 1992 W140 300SD?

Wondering if that's a good car to get.
Thanks, cp

From what I've heard, the 300SD is much better than the 350SD, the bigger engine burns more fuel, runs less smooth and is less durable. In Germany 300 SD are more expensive than comparable cars with gas engine of the same vintage.
Frank

The car's name fools people. The 1992 300SD DOES have the troublesome 3.5 engine. The engine, used from the '90 350SDL through the '95 S350, is to be avoided.

You sure it's the same engine?
The engine cover looks different. :-)
Oh well, will have to scratch if off the list.
cp

I have the W140 chassis in my 99 S420. So far, so good. Why not consider a gasoline engine?

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not interested in gas, besides the obvious reasons, there's something about diesels, especially the sound. :-)
cp

hmmm but in Germany, does it have the same engine as the 350? (Bill Ditmire said it does)
Any opinions on the G diesel jeeps up to 1990?
Thanks, cp
cp wrote:

AFAIK there is no 1992 300. The S 300TD came in 1996.
br, yvind
I think Bill is right. 300SD and S350 Turbodiesel share the same 3.5 liter turbodiesel that was in use in S-class for the period of Okt. '91 to Aug. '96. After that it was replaced by the new 3.0 l 24-valves DOHC turbodiesel with 177 hp.
In 1990 was the last model change for G-class. If you go for a G built after Apr. 1990 it will be the current model (463), which IMHO is better than the old one.

hmmmm what engines ARE good for those years? should I look at a 124?

I'm looking at ones till 1989, can't import more recent, are there any engines I should stay away from with the G's?
cp

It may be of interest to know how important fuel consumption is for you. If this is no topic for you, I would suggest buying a G300E.
Frank

Hi Frank, I'm only interested in diesel. I like drives to the arctic circle :-)
Are the diesels slow performers on the highway? Do they ride like bricks? Our neighbour has one, looks like it would ride like a brick, but then I wouldn't know. cp

Is that an attempt to troll?
Frank

Troll? What you talking about?
cp

Try a G500 D on for size!

A bit out of my budget! :-) (is that a new model?)
cp
Also, if you don't mind, you have any opinion on the '87-'89 MB 100 vans? (the little ones) are they reliable?
danke! cp

No.
Bitte