Any reason to move from a 99 to a later model Mercedes?

Considering the drop in reliability I'm not sure I want to move to a newer year. I was thinking about going to either a later S or E, but everything I
read makes me wonder.
Thoughts?
I agree. Why trade up to something LESS reliable?
Is the drop in reliability due to electronic toys (i.e. the Command system) or mechanical? I tend to steer away from the excessive gadgets as those tend to be the cause of problems in lots of cars (ok, maybe more in MBs than in Japanese cars). My '99 has been pretty good except for some of the well-known issues (harmonic crankshaft pulley and rear window regulator). My '95 has been more problematic.

Reliability is not too bad... my folks owns a '01... fairly trouble free lately.
The question if whether you want to take a hit in your depreciation value.