Anyone test driven a MAYBACH?

Page 2 of 3

Nice Idea, but my other car would probably be a Mercedes W111 280 SE 3.5 convertible, rebuilt and fitted with a 560 SEC powertrain by Autoschmiede (www.autoschmiede.com). And the only sticker on it would be the TUEV approval stamp on the license plate;-)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
βœ–
Frank Kemper wrote:

One can see from 100.000 miles apart the wrong track etc. of these Autoschmiede things... ===:-((((((
Juergen - nothing beats the original here
Add pictures here
βœ–

Okay with the wrong track, but what else is obvious? Besides this: It is a matter of fact that I like the design of the old 280SE far more than everything which has left Mercedes assembly lines in the last 20 years.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
βœ–
Frank Kemper wrote:

15 inch rims instead of original 14 inch, body sitting a bit too high, original cars only had clear or green tinted windows, not blueish ones, top round-headlamps H7 or sth. like that, but not original style...
But ok, I admit I am one of those freaks who also complains about a 1968 /8 with integrated Halogen-headlights as non-original...

No doubt these cars were some very clean and at the same time very impressive designs.
Juergen - admittedly a die-hard originality-freak
Add pictures here
βœ–

AFAIK these cars are hand made, so it is up to you wether you want as much historical accuracy as possible or a more contemporary layout. Ok, you are even free to take some 100.000 dollars and buy one original car in mint condition. I'd seriously prefer the best of both worlds.
Frank

Citroλn Xantia - Made in Trance
βœ–

Some butts are not ugly. That phrase always seems too sweeping.
.
Add pictures here
βœ–

There is a British look feel and SMELL????
Could you elaborate on this? I am visting London in three weeks and I need to be prepared.
( Hopefully this look, feel and smell is like Elizabeth Hurley ).
.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The smells I remember from my Jaguar are leaking brake fluid, burning oil, seeping antifreeze, and the Diesel exhaust smell of tow trucks.
βœ–
greek snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (greek_philosophizer) haute in die Tasten:

This is a simple one. If you take a big box of car components, ship them to the deepest british countryside, shoot some british cattle and peel off their skin to make conolly leather out of them, take your swedish husquarna chainsaw and cut down some british trees to get the wood for the dashboard from, take some british sheep and shave them for the wool for the carpets. Then take a bunch of british workers, supply them with only two working overalls (in order to prevent too many clothes swaps), put them into the british factory site in the british countryside and have them assemble a car from all the parts mentioned above - the result will without a doubt smell british...
There is a rumour that UK citizens in general do not focus their intrest too much upon their own cleanliness. As a rule of thumb I cannot entirely confirm this rumour from the few dozens Britains I have met closely in my life.
<eg>
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
βœ–
It's ENGLISH, not British... The only thing that's British around here is citizenship and the government. Everything else is English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish...
DAS
βœ–
hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha THUNK hahahahaha roflol
Thets a gud un, Bill!
mcbrue laughingly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
Add pictures here
βœ–
Frank Kemper wrote:

I really, really, really hate to nutpick again, but Connolly ended production in June 2002.
It is always the same story: 1st generation founds a solid company 2nd generation keeps it 3rd generation ruins it
GERMAN language article at http://www.autobild.de/artikel.php?artikel_id (32
Juergen
Add pictures here
βœ–

Oh come on, you're loving it, don't you?
Frank

Citroλn Xantia - Made in Trance
βœ–
Frank Kemper wrote:

:-))
Juergen
Add pictures here
βœ–
In which area are you going to stay? Just curious.
DAS
βœ–
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

That is the part that I have been unable to decide upon.
I have never been to England and so I am allocating a weekend to correct that situation. I am flying in on a Friday and flying out the next Monday.
I have not been able to choose between getting a car and being extremely mobile or just getting a hotel in some part of London or some other city and just meandering about.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
.
--
1 HP = 745.69987158227022 Watts
1 PS = 735.49875 Watts

You might need a bit more than a weekend...
Add pictures here
βœ–
Nah. England is a bit of land on a little island off the coast of Europe. Arrive Fri/Sat, bleary-eyed. Straight off the plane into a London city bus tour (snooze at the stops), in the afternoon stop at the Tower of London and Houses of Parliament. Evening meal in typical (means 'any') pub.
Next morning take taxi tour of Cambridge, Oxford, Bath (and nearby Bristol with Clifton Suspension Bridge). Late afternoon whizz round Stratford-on-Avon and Warwick (pronounced 'worrick' and not 'wor-wick') Castle) and back onto plane.
Take one-week holiday in the depths of the Adirondaks to recover...
Blimey, I feel knackered just reading that....
DAS
βœ–
Hi Dori,
Thank you for the suggestions. I will have 3+ days ( Friday Morning to Monday Afternoon ) so I think I can fit all that in. Do you have any insider information on good places or areas to stay? I will attempt to make some sort of mercedes observation so that I can plausibly claim this is somehow on topic.
wrote in message

Add pictures here
βœ–
How long is a piece of string?....
Budget?
Try looking for Maybachs... But not too much as you won't see much, neither Maybachs nor the sights...
DAS
βœ–