Asians ram it home, Euros miss out, Americans tired

"The way is now clear for the Asian brands to really ram home their advantage."

.

Reply to
greek_philosophizer

The Japanese have never had an original design since those early square boxes they sold in the early 70's. Hell ,there is a guy running around in San Diego in a newer model two door civic with the license plate "325i jr". But anyway let's go to the List...

Lexus = Pick any Mercedes Acura = Pick any BMW New Maxima = Audi A6 The new MR2 = Boxster Most Honda's/Nissan = BMW Jr.'s

I think the only opposite crossover was the BMW Miata. I remember back to the early 90s, it was well noted that the Porsche 968 (which replaced the

944) changed its headlight design for on simple reason...the Japanese had copied it so much that it had lost its originality.

I've owned Japanese cars, I recommend Japanese cars, but, in no way shape or form are they Japanese in the same stratosphere as the Germans at this point in time. Don't worry...Kamikaze Krazy goes away as that plastic knob breaks off in your hand for the millionth time or you notice rust after only

3 years of ownership.
Reply to
Lester

"Lester" hat in Betrag news:bt4fm8$5i3$1@ngspool- d02.news.aol.com dies gedichtet:

Some time ago I read somewhere that it is a japanese way to show respect for engineering genius by copying an original.

To me it looks very funny how much the contemporary Lexus LS 430 looks like an outdated Mercedes W140. In my eyes Mazda is the only japanese manufacturer who really cares for individual cars. The new RX8 is really stunning in my eyes. Too bad it lost a comparison against a BMW 330Ci with weaving flags.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

In a way though I am surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

Most people claim the most important thing in a car is reliability, and this is why how people (questionably) justify the expense of a brand new car over a used one.

But Japanese brands, and now indeed Hyundai do consistantly well in reliability surveys, over and over again. So people are slowly but surely cottoning on to the fact that Japanese marques will never leave you stranded, and gradually shifting to them.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

l&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2004/01/02/ixcity.html&menuId=242&_requestid=8107

The Japanese culture is like this though, they want to use what works well, and improve and refine it with an obsessive level of attention to detail. But unlike many cultures, one of their strengths is that they are always keen to learn from what others have done.

I saw a group of Japanese tourists in France who got a cab in order to go to a railway line to take pictures of the TGV going at full speed. Now the Japanese have their own high-speed train, but they are still very interested in other people's solutions.

I rather like their approach. Rather than arrogantly assuming they know best, they go out, and they see whats out there, and quite often buy it, take it to bits and figure out what makes it good, and what makes it bad.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

I have recently come across an appropriate expression:

Pinch with pride.

:-) DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling