ATF Specs

The transmission fluid on my 230E W124 with 145.000 km, has never been changed.
MB's ATF costs USD 33 a quarter gallon, at the dealer.
Is it too much?
Which are the proper specifications for the ATF? I can get a Dexron III as cheap as USD 5 a quarter.
Thanks
W124 should use Dextron III ATF. Only the 5 speed and up uses more special fluids.