Attention Euro W116 Owners

While spending a lot of time this morning in the front adding an additional oil cooler,I finally noticed that my headlights have a black selector switch on each headlight.Right side(standing in front)says normal and left side,recklast.What is its function?It's a 76 450SE euro in the event this info is needed!P.S. Noticed switches before,just never knew their purpose or that they were selector switches!TIA

Reply to
CaptainW116

Are you sure the leftside doesn't read "Hecklast"? Hecklast is german, translated directly it means "load at the back" ("heck" is the back of the car and "last" means load). The selector is probably the switch to tilt your headlights slightly downward so as not to blind your fellow road users if your car is heavily loaded.

Govert

1980 200D
Reply to
Govert Schipperheijn

They are indeed adjustments for aiming the headlights down slightly when the car is fully loaded. On my euro 1975 450SEL, this adjustment was accomplished by turning a thumbwheel next to the headlight switch. It operated off the car's vacuum system.

Reply to
Carl Schenke

Thanks guys! Yes,it is hecklast not recklast(sort of weathered in those areas).

Reply to
CaptainW116