audio system '93 300 E

Please help solve this puzzling mystery. Every time I start the car, the left side of the sound system is dead silent. It slowly comes to life, beginning with a lot of static and distortion, and within about
five minutes it sounds fine. Odd thing; it only does it on FM radio. When playing tapes or AM radio, it's fine. So I'm thinking it's the radio..bought a used Becker Grand Prix just like the old one. Same problems. I know. I should go buy a damned Alpine, but I don't want to attract thieves and I have this hang up about keeping old cars original... Where might the problem be? An amplifier hidden somewhere in the car?
snipped-for-privacy@1075kzl.com (Jeff) wrote in message

Got the same problem with my 1993 300e. In the trunk on the passanger side are two amplifiers and the radio unit. I also have a cd changer plugged into the unit. Tape deck and cd work fine on both channels but FM is dead on one channel. That means that the two amps are working fine. The radio unit in the back if you jiggle the wires you will likely find that the channel will come back on. Or if you hit a large bump.I was able to solve my problem by tightening up the mounting bolt and cleaning of the other connections. I did this about a week ago and have not have any problems since. Likely a loose ground connection. I had the exact problem with a 1992 190e 2.6.
yes.
I changed the Becker in my '93 300e with an Alpine. We overrode the amps and used the front speaker/door sub crossover with the Alpine's front amps. Kept the original speakers too.
The Alpine deck cost $125 (cheap!) and the install was about $200. It sounds 100% better - no make that 1000% better then that Becker.
Toss the Becker out and replace it with anything else, you'll be thanking me afterwards.