Augh! Someone using my name!

Man... someone is spamming this newsgroup with my name... Anything other than Mercedes is not me.

You're not alone, Tiger. It is happening in another newsgroup I watch. Even sig files are being spoofed. Clever a**holes.
John M. '94 E320 the real one
It happened to one or two others on this newsgroup as well.
Saw it earlier today.
Thing is, the spam/fakes are going out about the same time, so I am wondering if they are computer-generated in some way.
DAS

yeah, it's happeneing with other newsgroups with other high posters as well.

was wondering why you were asking questions.
your the man with the answers
the case, minus a few cans!
An email virus. It bypasses a computer's normal email program, enters a random Address Book entry as the Reply To address, then silently sends copies of itself to everyone in the Address Book. All it takes is having your email address listed in someone's Address Book; the virus will list it as the Reply To address, while silently sending itself out to a hundred thousand people, leaving no indication that anything was ever sent. It does it all while online, and does not use normal email programs to send.
Viewing the headers of the messages will give the user, service provider and trace information necessary to pin down the computer sending the virus.
Chances are the owner is not aware that his computer is even sending out email. Using its own engine, the virus can send out 100,000 messages with random return addresses and the user would not even know about it.

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:06:19 -0800, "Rugbyguy"

If you are using Fort Agent, or Fort Free Agent to read and write your newsgroups with, then pressing the 'h' key will show you all the header information. Pressing it again will switch you back.
For a top quality free virus detection program, check out: http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/1 /
For free top notch software firewall protection: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp Mike
--
W126 300SE