Auto trans shifter stick goes clanka clanka

On a very long trip my 88 190 E, after changing the gears on my auto stick shift while at a stop sign started to sound as if it is hitting the drive shaft or something. The sound and the feel of the clanka, clanka sound like
something under there is hitting something intermitently. If I pull the stick to the side or down or even up a bit it will stop. And if I just start moving it stops. Before I climb under there and discover it can't be fixed by a shade tree mechanic I thought I would tap the expertise of you guys. Any ideas what it is?? thanks
Simple job... your shifter bushings are gone... you get them at the dealer... you need two pieces.
SW: AGREE WITH TIGER. INSPECT THOSE SHIFTER BUSHINGS. FEEL SHIFTER FOR LOOSENESS/PLAY PRETTY CHEAP TO REPAIR.
its also possible that your front flex disk is torn, which may make the engine and trans rock side to side, wobbling the shifter side to side. This usually distroyes the rear transmission mount too.

sorry, disregard my post - i didnt read yours completly before posting

Thank you very much guys. I thought the clanka clanka would throw you but it did not.