Automatic transmission modes

My CLK 240 Auto has 2 transmission options: S for Standard and C for Comfort.

The Owners Manual is not very clear about the advantages of each. Can I assume that C will give the best economy?

Reply to
David J

Not necessarily as it depends on how you drive. S map is the adaptable one that effects gear change points and number of gears used (depending on the computer used; it could be 3 - 5 sets). C map is the constant set (not adaptable) which could be one part of the S set and is more likely to start off in 2nd gear. But if you plant it all the time in C then there is a chance that your economy might be adversely affected. Vica versa if you drive quietly in S then the computer adapts the gear box to a 'quieter' and more economical style (but not necessarily the C set) but if used vigorously then it will adapt styles to a 'sportier' series of change points which at speed could be more economical. If you know what I mean (this was how it was explained to me by the service personal). I decided to believe them! If you get a system reset at your service then all the adaptabilty reverts to basic (including throttle) and needs to 'learnt' again over a period of several start ups.

Reply to
James Black

Thanks for that lucid description, James....

What is disappointing is that in a Manual of some 500 pages, MB is unable to devote just one page to this important topic, without the detailed explanation you have given above. As for the 'system reset' during servicing, I can find no reference to that anywhere. Strange?

David

Reply to
David J

I find that S mode is more economical than C mode, both in my C class and SLK. Only by a few miles per gallon, but the car also drives better in S mode (or more to the way I like to drive anyway). My A class is a manual and it uses lots of petrol. I struggle to match the economy of the C class (surprisingly).

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

Here are even more information about the wonderful 722.6 transmission;

I think the "W" is the same as "C" on later versions.

br, syljua

Reply to
Øyvind S

Very interesting. Thanks for that. 'W' for winter makes sense if it starts in second gear.

David

Reply to
David J