Automatic Transmission Problem

Hi,
I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. My car is a 1997 E220 Diesel with automatic transmission and 300000 km. Just this last week, I experienced twice that the transmission was "stuck" in fifth
gear. It would not shift down, either with kickdown or shifting it manually to any of the other gears. After stopping, it wouldn't go in reverse, but after putting it in park, it functioned normally again (all the other gears). This has only happened twice, but I'm guessing the problem will get worse. Does this sound like a mechanical error, or could it be some kind of electronic error? I live in Norway, so changing the transmission would probably cost $8000 (I've heard), so appreciate any answers that could shed some light (and hopefully save me some money). Thanks!
I own a '97 E320 with the same transmission. After reading your post I vote for an electronic failure, mainly because the way Park cleared the failure.
Suggest you ask the M-B dealer for a diagnosis and repair estimate (only); this will cost you something but should lift the veil so you know your options.
A used transmission from a wreck is certainly one option and it won't cost any $8,000!
I suggest you have the tranny serviced... tranny fluid and filter.