Axle End Play Shims on Rear End of 300 TDT

I recently replaced both rear axles on my 1982 300 TDT. The spline shafts at the differential end of the axles was slightly shorter on the new axles, and when I kept the shims in place that were there originally, it was not possible to get the retaining clips in place that hold the spline shafts in place. So I removed the new axles, removed the shims, and then put the axles back in and was able to get the shims in place.

The shim on the left side was thicker than the shim on the right side. The difference in the lengths of the spline shafts was pretty much equal. I tried the thinner shim on the left side with the new axle, but the shim was still too big and I couldn't get the clip in even with the thinner shim in place. It's maybe .3 mm thick. So I put that side together without a shim too.

But now I am wondering if there is too much end play on that axle at the differential. I have driven about 300 mile with the new axles in place. There is a big improvement in smoothness and I do not notice any problems.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Also, does anyone know what the end play should be? How could I measure that? What is the thickness of the thinnest shim available?

What happens if the end play is too great?

Thanks.

Paul

Reply to
heav

I will need to research on how to measure and the minimum clearance required. There are different shims available.

1233570152 002 SPACER WASHER AS REQUIRED 1.5 MM 1233570252 002 SPACER WASHER AS REQUIRED 1.4 MM 1233570452 002 SPACER WASHER AS REQUIRED 1.3 MM 1233570652 002 SPACER WASHER AS REQUIRED 1.2 MM 1233570852 002 SPACER WASHER AS REQUIRED 1.1 MM 1233571052 002 SPACER WASHER AS REQUIRED 1.0 MM 1233571252 002 SPACER WASHER AS REQUIRED 0.9 MM 1233571452 002 SPACER WASHER AS REQUIRED 0.8 MM 1233571552 002 SPACER WASHER AS REQUIRED 0.7 MM
Reply to
Karl

I should have said that I was able to get the CLIPS in when I removed the shims. There is only a tiny gap, if any, between the clip and the gear the spline shaft comes through. It cannot contact that vertical shaft inside the differential, the spline shaft cannot go in that far, so I think the differential is OK, but I would like to know how to actually measure the end play and know what the specified limits are.

Reply to
heav

From the MB 123 body microfische:

"Check end play between inner spider and differential housing. There should be no noticeable play; the locking ring should just barely turn in the groove. If required, use thicker or thinner spacing ring."

That is all......

Reply to
Karl