baby seat transponder

On the one hand I applaud MB for finding a solution to forgetting to turn off the airbag when a baby seat is put on the front passenger seat by using a special car seat with a transponder that tells the car to turn off the airbag.

On the other hand I object to losing control and not having a simple switch like other cars do and being forced to buy an expensive Britax (rebadged Mercedes) seat. Even worse is the possibility of someone using a non-transponder-equipped seat and running the risk of the airbag going off.

I wonder, therefore, if there is a source of junked MB-Britax seats (none on e-bay) with excisable transponders, or even a circuit diagram to build such a transponder.

Reply to
Nihil

Possibly unhelpful response...

Bought said Merc-badged seat (in Germany, to save some dosh) WITHOUT transponder as I could not envisage any circumstance where I would need to put our son on the front seat.

Are you sure there is no switch on your car? And under what circumstances would somebody inadvertently put a seat without transponder in without your knowing about it?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

There's a light (to tell you the transponder worked) but no switch.

I was being general about the circumstances i.e. I was envisaging someone other than an astute reader of this newsgroup who might be unaware of the whole issue of transponders, airbags, lack of switch. In "lesser" cars there is often a really useful big red switch that such a person might notice but not on the likes of a MB.

I'm hoping to find a black market transponder seller who strips them out of MB babyseats so that I can stick one on my non-MB babyseat.

You d> Possibly unhelpful response...

Reply to
Nihil

If you want to be general about your outrage about safety issues I suggest you direct it at

- adults who hold children on their laps (my top 'hate').

- unsecured children gambolling on the back seat.

- too many unsecured people -- incl children -- on the back seat.

- unsecured pets.

- etc etc

;-) DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

How does one secure an uncooperative animal ?

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

put it in the trunk