Basic Maintenance Tool Kit

I recently purchased an '82 300CD-T, and am trying to put together a good basic kit of tools and maintenance products to have on hand for most simple DIY fixes. I'm not particularly handy, but I'm not
incompetent, either, so I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for parts/tools/diagnostic tools that will go the farthest in helping maintain my car. For example, I understand the vacuum systems on these cars need maintenance from time to time, so what do I need to troubleshoot problems and what would I need to then do basic fixes? The same goes for any filters, etc. that I could change myself in my garage.
Couple of more questions: How do I test my compression, and does anyone have preferred products for cleaning and protecting the dashboard and M-B Tex seats? I don't want to use a product that looks good short-term but ruins the material in the long run. Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I hope to keep this car in good running order for a long time to come.
A set of 9 - 17 mm metric wrenches, a feeler gauge, 10 - 17 mm metric sockets, good flat blade and phillips screw drivers will get you by for oil and filter changes, drive belt replacements and misc work. Two very thin open end 14 mm wrenches can get you through a valve adjustment in lieu of the specialized offset wrenches.
Forget the compression test - you already bought the car - it is whatever it is, you're not going to overhaul it so that's moot.
Leather seats get treated but MB-Tex??
Thanks, TG. Any suggestions on a cleaning product for the MB-Tex or are they durable enough to tolerate anything? Same question goes for the dashboard.

On the same subject: The SL500 comes with a tool kit that includes a compressor and some specialized tools. Can some one please describe the tools I purchased a SL500 from Mercedes of Buffalo that was suppose to come with the Navigation CDs and the Tools but after 3 months of waiting, "they are on order" since July !!!
John

http://articles.mbz.org/interior/mb-tex /

This stuff is great for protecting things from the sun:
http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_IDB8
Doug