Batteries: How maintenance free is "Maintenance Free"?

I bought a DieHard International "Maintenance Free" battery and would like to know if I can just forget it for the next four years or so or if
it must be checked and topped up with H2O from time to time.
It's not a sealed battery, its caps (in a strip of three) can be pried off with a screw driver and pressed back on, but that arrangement doesn't seem like it's designed to be done with any frequency.
Sears web site doesn't discuss a "Maintenance Free" battery's on-going maintenance. This battery has a 36 full warranty and 100 month prorated warranty.
So what do you know?
Tom
--

2008 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.
On 19 Ott, 22:45, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

I know that there are 3 types of lead batteries. The standard (i.e. with maintenance and normal caps). The low maintenance (the one that you describe). And the maintenance free, that's usually including a more sofisticated capping system (the reason why maintenance is needed less frequently), plus a so called 'magic eye', to instantly show density of electrolithic liquid. Then you might have Pb-gel, but it's not a good choice to start up an engine. In short: all of them need maintenance, but due to different technology of the cover of battery AND caps, there's less evaporation so it is less frequently needed to add water. But if you're not driving in the Sahara desert and your alternator and charger controller are in good shape, there' a small difference between the three types. It's a sexy feature, invented for marketing reasons, imho.
Thanks for your reply and thoughts.