BATTERY

I have a 1989 560 SEL. I have to replace my battery because it's showing LOW and the winter is fast approaching. Question one; What will happen to the radio when I disconnect the battery to replace it? Question two; I plan
on purchasing a DURALAST by AUTO ZONE, any suggestions here?
TIA,
Bill
Autozone is good... I use them You can hook up a 9 volt battery to the car via cigarette lighter... with ignition to position one and you won't lose any settings.

Hey you can also conect the new battery whith an extra cable and a regulator, before disconnect de old battery. Virrey
I don't know whether its good practice or not, but the shop that replaced my last battery did it without shutting the engine off. The alternator kept voltage on the system and there was no problem.
EJ in NJ
Bill G. wrote:

Do not do that... will fry your alternator.
It didn't fry mine.
EJ in NJ
Tiger wrote:

Ernie Willson ha scritto:

You're a lucky guy. But you know Murphy'laws... And there's more than a serious opportunity to fry up sigma converter in the alternator. So my suggestion is to purchase a jump starter (a small battery, usually packed up with lots of accessories, i.e. light, compressor and so on and to plug it into the lighter plug. This will keep all electronics up to 12 V level, while you take away the old and plug in the new battery.
Just as an example of what I mean for jump starter: http://www.global-b2b-network.com/b2b/78/11/1284/240938/jump_starter.html
I agree with you both (Cordy and Tiger) that it is not the best practice to remove the battery with the engine running. What I objected to was the absolute statement that it would "fry your alternator". I assure you it did not. Its been two years since the battery was replaced. How long does it take to fry an alternator :^))
EJ in NJ
Cordy wrote:

You were indeed lucky.
Battery acts like a reservoir or buffer in the charging system. The alternator also relies on the battery voltage to maintain the correct output. Missing either in the system MAY (not always though) damage anything that are still connected.
Ernie Willson wrote:

message

Good idea, that's what I use as a backup to open the trunk in case of a dead battery. I would never worry about losing my radio's memory, you can always enter the code. It's not so much info/setting like on a computer.