Battery Problems

My battery light is staying on all the time. Sometimes I will try to start the car and it sounds like the battery is almost dead. Try it later and it starts. The light never goes out. This is a 300sd 1982

Check to make sure the alternator belts are tight, if OK then you may need a new regualtor.

Or just a new battery, which would be the first candidate for suspicion, especially if it's more than a few years old.

Only a bad battery would not result in having the battery light on.
I suggest you have your alternator tested... seems like your diode is going bad... I do not believe the battery is at fault. At the same time, the tech can test your battery.