Belt tensioner causes battery problems?

Could a defective tensioner ('93 300E 3.2) charge the battery just enough to keep the charge light off, but not allow the alt to keep the batt fully
charged?
Sounds more like the voltage regulator on the alternator is failing (the brushes usually wear out & it's a simple job to replace the regulator module)
Check batter voltage when the vehicle is running. Should be something over 13.75v if I remember correctly.
Chris

Sure thing..if the belt is slipping.

there may be pointers <or> arrows on the piviting points of the spring that should line up. i would bet there is a PIC in the manual to show you what it looks like.
all of mine have been the loosen the nut and screw inthe shaft to make things tighter. don't make to tight though or you will eat the bearings sooner than you neeed to
case
the case, minus a few cans!
On 2004-10-25 21:37:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (pool man) said:

you have AC in the car... as you tighten the adjuster. Or just advance it until the belt is tight (four marks in my car).

This has to be loosened in order to adust the tensioner and tightened after, don't make to tight though or you will eat the bearings sooner than you

You will break the adjuster or spin the tensioner long before that can happen IMO...
Marty
....well, I had a defective tensioner and since replacing I have had no charging or battery problems as I did before..........