Belt tensioner causes battery problems?

Could a defective tensioner ('93 300E 3.2) charge the battery just enough to keep the charge light off, but not allow the alt to keep the batt fully charged?

Reply to
RITCHIE

Sounds more like the voltage regulator on the alternator is failing (the brushes usually wear out & it's a simple job to replace the regulator module)

Check batter voltage when the vehicle is running. Should be something over

13.75v if I remember correctly.

Chris

Reply to
CRGILL

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

there may be pointers arrows on the piviting points of the spring that should line up. i would bet there is a PIC in the manual to show you what it looks like.

all of mine have been the loosen the nut and screw inthe shaft to make things tighter. don't make to tight though or you will eat the bearings sooner than you neeed to

case

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

They don't line up. The pointer should advance to the eighth mark if you have AC in the car... as you tighten the adjuster. Or just advance it until the belt is tight (four marks in my car).

I think you are referring to the big bolt that holds the tensioner on? This has to be loosened in order to adust the tensioner and tightened after, don't make to tight though or you will eat the bearings sooner than you

You will break the adjuster or spin the tensioner long before that can happen IMO...

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

....well, I had a defective tensioner and since replacing I have had no charging or battery problems as I did before..........

Reply to
RITCHIE