Best Fuel Consumption?

Hi there, Ive just acquired my first Merc, a 1975 450 SLC. (My previous 2 cars were 1.3ltr fords so fuel was not really an issue) I know this car is not exactly 'easy' on juice but Im intriged to know if ppl on the list are doing much better and also to find out what the best consumption is amongst all the Mercs. Im fairly new to the car so Im still driving it like a dick, seems theres not too much point having a car like this unless you drive like a dick once in a while...Anyway, the BEST Ive managed fuel wise is 6.2Km / ltr (sea level) Is this par for the course? Whos getting better? Anyone got a merc doing less (please :)) Cheers

-tom

Reply to
Lurker

Is "Dick" slang for "personification of the cylindrical male organ" in your part of the world ( South Africa? ) too?

Do they also say "ganga" there too?

( Sorry about the off topic tangent ).

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Tom Exactly what type of attitude does this term imply? Does it have anything to do with age? If so, if I were a reader of your post and I am say, age 81, I would expect the term to imply driving with a limp and wimpy attitude. So I'm not exactly sure what type of driving you are doing. If you are driving "comfortable" - - that is, both feet flat on the floor - - then that is an entirely different situation. Perhaps you could explain the philosophy behind the term "ganga" ?

Larry In the back yard, under the oak.

Reply to
Pandacat206

Apologies, with the net bringing us disparate types together from all the far flung corners one forgets that vernacular is not universal. Let me explain... When I say driving like a Dick, I do infact mean driving like a prick :) I wonder if the terminology is similar in your part of the world? In essence it would mean trying to get the car to 220-240kmh as quickly as possible at any oportunity. Putting pedal to metal at any traffic interchange when the lights turn green to watch people disapear in ones rear view mirror. Driving in said manner I can expect about 4kms/ltr...although I have had a bit worse.On my current tank of gas Im "old manning" it for a bit, accelerate very gradualy, stick to 60ks in urban areas and less than 120 on the freeway. I will report back on my findings although it is very tricky to not let the 'prick' in me creep in, but I will endevour to be a feather foot for this tank. In terms of Ganga Im sure I dont know what you mean however, if you are infact refering to Ganja I can certainly illuminate you 8). It is in fact called Dagga here and liberal use should help me with the "old manning" on this tank...."Whoa, it feels so fast..."

Cheers

-tom Tom

Reply to
Lurker

Hi,

My 5L 500SE will do around 15 mpg (UK Gallon) at times, when driven around town. That's about the same as you are getting (kms/l). If I drive it hard out of town I get BETTER consumption (around 20 mpg, say 8kms/l) but it's hard to drive it hard as it has a habit of going very fast indeed!

On a long run, on the motorway say, I can often achieve 25-28mpg, or 9-10 kms/l). I would say you MAY be using a bit too much fuel, but then I can only guess how you are driving! A 420 is NOT an economical car...

Voetsek!

-- Al Bolton, G4VSQ

1988 Mercedes 260E 155,000 miles
Reply to
Al Bolton

And with the as pronounced like a German a and the gs pronounced gutturally, as in a German 'ch', not so? I.e. dacha, pronounced in German..

:-) DAS ex-Durban

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

With a harsher pronunciation to most things, as it is a Dutch derived language, such as. "Dit es lakkar dagga..."

Lee (4 months in Jo'burg on business... If they had jobs, I would have stayed)

PS: MS Spell Check had MAJOR issues with this post!

Reply to
Lee Sharp

Hi all, From the current replies to my post I would have to assume Merc drivers are a bunch of Pot heads. Not something I ever would have imagined but have to admit Im happy to go with. Maybe if I just sit round and puff weed Ill use less petrol 8). Al Bolton, thanks for your reply, Im a little jealous that your 5ltr is getting better stats than my 4.5 but Im doing very well on this tank "Old manning" it and will report back shortly...I think I may even squeeze another 60-80Kms out of a tank going easy. Later

-tom

Reply to
Lurker

Reply to
greek_philosophizer

You lived in Durban too? You certainly get around.

So if I go to South Africa and I ask for dacha I will have to be careful that I do not ask a Russian because he will think I am looking for a large country house?

. .
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Beaches are nice, women are awesome and everything is cheap! That job was just about the best 4 months of my life. About the only drawback is that the Tequila sucks, but I had some shipped over.

My rent car was a BMW 318i. (about US $25 a day... Told you it was cheap.) I was constantly driving like Tom w/o weed. :-) The 240km speed limiter on the 318 is very smooth when it cuts in. }8-) However, a lot of the Dagga is cut. Be careful what you buy. Also, the drug raids there are not fun. Mostly a lot of people die...

To get slightly back on topic, my 84 500SEC gets about 14 in town, 18 on the highway under 80mph, and much less over 80mph. Fact is, these cars bring out the foot, and the foot is expensive. :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee Sharp

I assume that is US Gallons you are referring to? They are smaller than the UK Gallon but it sounds if you are pretty heavy footed!

Al

Reply to
Al Bolton

See below.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Did you mean "lekker"?

:-) DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Hello all, Well, after driving like a pussy (can I say that here?( let me explain, driving very slowly, sticking to the speed limit and be all round Mr Moderate)) for the entire tank (90ltrs) I managed to get 5.9Kms/ltr

*sigh* I guess if I want economy I need to get a smart car or maybe just regress to a scooter.

Naahhh, I think Lee was being a little melodramatic re death and raids. You gotta be an idiot to get involved in a drug raid buying weed. Most garages (which I seem to visit a lot more often than Id wish to) sell the stuff. Costs are around the $10/Oz level for a street deal (not bad eh 8)) No one cuts the stuff (that I know of) as whatever you are cutting with probably costs more than the weed!

Maybe

Very nice indeed, better (warmer) on the Indian ocean side.

One should do but our police services are badly stretched at the moment and they have a hard job dealing with most of the rapes, murders and in transit heists that happen most days

TO be honest I tend to go at about 40 when wasted, its a natural speed retardent, unlike alcohol! You can always just claim you were doing 240 with the windows down hence the red eyes....

Back to topic...what is the most economical Merc then, is it these A class jobs?

-tom

Reply to
Lurker

Doh! Looks like you remembered more than me. :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee Sharp

Sad, isn't it? Some things just cost money, but are worth it. :-)

Just giving a contrast to the US. Here, getting caught in a raid is somewhat likely, with little consequences if you can afford an attorney. In Jo'burg, getting caught in a raid is highly unlikely, but much worse for you. I was there for the big Scorpion sting on the high-rise where something like 14 "suspects" were killed. My girlfriend at the time knew one of them... Just a warning that anyone from the US "Isn't in Kansas anymore." :-) (Something Americans never seem to learn soon enough) I don't mention the carjacking, because it was not nearly as bad as the hype I had heard before I went.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Sharp

Lekker has imprinted itself on my mind, as it figures in a very popular song (in my day, that is) in the versevthat features Durban, which is described as a "lekker place for a holiday".

(Plus it's not far off the German "lecker" with similar meaning.)

:-)) DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Thank you for the warning. It still sounds good. I think I can avoid the bad parts of town. Maybe I can get the concierge to get me the cannabis - ( strictly for medicinal purposes of course ). Even if I give him a big tip I will still save money over the USA price. ( and back on topic!) Perhaps the armored mercedes is the best choice there!

Reply to
greek_philosophizer