Best Mercedes V8 Engine (70's and 80's)

. On balance, the 450 has been an excellent

choice and everything we've all heard about the old iron block V8s being > virtually indestructible is proving to be true - at least so far. Just > my $.02. Your mileage may vary. > > Jerry Wolfram > '78 450 SL - 211K miles 'n' still purrin'

I can 100% agree with the 4.5 litre engine. I have seen 3.8's 4.2's and 5.0 litres having problems. I have had a 4.5 litre engine wich has done over 400,000 kms, and without freshening up the bottom end i have supercharged with a roots blower running

8PSI , had the car on a dyno and power firgures are aound 350 HP at the fly. I also had the Supercharger up to 22+ PSI (could have been higher but thats the higest the boost gauge read. The standard engine Held this with out a problem, i only had it at this for a short time as i had problems with belt slipage.

This engine was 100 % std (cams, heads etc), 1974 EFI - i am running straight LPG gas now.

Engine was reved to 7000+ rpm serveral times as well

I am starting a new project January

Reply to
Warren Toet