best place to buy an evaporator?

Hi all, Where's the best place to get an ac evaporator? I've got an 84 300SD.
Thanks, Jeff

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=11146+1668+4294963004+6923
I replaced the evaporator on my 300TDT last year. Be sure you get one that matches the shape and size of the original because it has to fit into the housing under the dash. My aftermarket evaporator works fine. I have replaced the entire system on my car including the condenser and compressor and all lines and valves. I tried just replacing what was leaking but it was like whack a mole and every time I replaced just one part another one would start leaking. Now that I have all the parts replaced the AC works like new.
Paul, Thanks for the link. The prices are fairly varied and, yes, the models look different from each other.
I'm taking it in to have it tested to see where the leak is coming from. If it's not the evaporator, I'll wait on it.
My understanding is that it is a PAIN to replace. I've already got my dash off, though to replace some pods and get my flaps all working.
How hard was it to do your evaporator?
Thanks, Jeff
If your dash is already out, you are halfway there. You have some more work to do though. You have to remove the box that contains the evaporator. If it's like mine, it also holds the small radiator that is the heat element if I remember correctly. The hard part is splitting the box in half without breaking anything. It's doable. I had to remove a lot of control stuff related to the climate control.
Be sure to make use of your digital camera and take lots of pictures from different angles as you take it apart and you should be fine.
Paul

You already done the hard part of taking the dash out. As for the evaporator... cheapest place I can find is where I would buy it as long it is quality part hopefully made in Germany.
The cheapest I found is $85... $8 shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-A-C-Evaporator-1981-1991-Mercedes-Benz_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a4Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a200QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem19b39b2717QQitemZ110387472151QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Rock auto got one for $120 and I am seeing $170 a good deal at Rockauto and buymbparts.com
There is nothing fancy of about evaporator so I'd just get a cheap one and makr sure it fits...
You are right that it would be best to change it while you are at it and consider how old the car is already. Make sure you clean out the entire housing while you are at it. Clean the air ducts... etc.
Tiger, Thanks for finding that 85 dollar evaporator. Now I'm tempted to just go ahead and do it.
I've been looking for a good DIY on this and haven't quite found one for my model 84 300SD.
Do I have to take the entire console out? Do you pull it out the top or out the side?
Thanks, Jeff
You don't have a service manual for your car? CD or paper?

Tiger, Not really. I bought a cheap CD one off ebay which was not good.
Jeff
I have both... the paper one is really detailed... cd Mercedes original is almost as good.... just a bit blurry.
On my 300 TDT 1982 I had to pull out the entire console. You can download the Mercedes Manual for a 1982 300 TDT at my web site at:
http://inyopro.com/mercedes_manual
I think the evaporator box had to be slid out to the side.

Paul, Thanks for the link. It wouldn't open for me, though. Is the TDT pretty much the same as the SD?
Thanks, Jeff
No... that is W123 wagon while you have W126 sedan
Tiger, you got me looking for a decent manual and so I just bought the big tech book from MBUSA. Last time I looked, they were out or I couldn't find it. Anyways, it's 400 pages for 29.00 and should be a big help from now on.
Jeff
$29!?!?! Print material?! You are so lucky. They have been out of print for decades. You bought it from MBUSA?
Here is an updated link to the 123 model manuals.
http://inyopro.com/mercedes_manual.exe
Tiger, Here is the link to where I found the book. The one I got is called a Technical Data Book. It says they're 400-600 pages and are books, not CDs.
http://www.classictechlit.mbusa.com
Jeff
Thanks for the link... it is fascinating... they even have their classic CD service manual for $20... but I don't know if there is one for W126... this CD would have both engine and chassis manual information.
I have W126 Chassis manual for the early 126 since I had 84 380SE... and also have the she manual for the 3.8/5.117 Engine manual in print.

Someone who knows the SD would be better to answer that question, but I think the answer is that the SD is a 126 body and a 300 TDT is a 123 body, which means that they are pretty different.
You could probably find a 126 manual set on ebay. That's where I found my 123 set. I think it was $12. I have uploaded the manuals as a zip file that should download. Try right clicking and choosing "Save Link As." I have the paper manuals too, and they are pretty much identical. I like using the digital manuals because I can print out the pages on what I am working on and then it isn't so bad if I get them greasy.
http://inyopro.com/mercedes_manual.exe