Best portable (very small) car battery charger?

I am considering buying a battery charger but am very limited in terms of space. I have been reviewing some online stores and have seen a few chargers that seem to fit what i am looking for but since I am not
sure what the good battery charger brands are out there i wanted to post first.
I am looking for a small-as-possible charger that can switch between trickle (most important) and "speed charging" (less important but would be nice) that can charge a 12v car battery and (most important) will atuomatically stop charging when the battery is finished but continue to "top off" the battery when it reaches below a certain point. If it was dual voltage (ie 120v & 240 that would be great but 240 is more important)
Any help/suggestions would really be appricated!
Cheers
-Gaiko
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 01:07:29 -0800 (PST), Gaiko

Gaiko
You don't say where you are or what space is available but a quick Google using the words 'battery charger trickle maintain' (without the ') found about 23,000 hits in the UK.
The Draper 12V Automatic Battery Charger 8 Amp is 184 x 112 x 86mm should be OK for your trickle and maintain requirements and also charges at 8amp (the description says on a web site I found from Google http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID 372&Referrer=Froogle). It's 240v AC only (no 120v option).
Richard For caravanning tips and information visit http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk
--
Life would be so very easy if we only had the source code.

I bought one from NAPA a dozen years ago and it works beautifully; sounds like what you want. Never overcharged or done any damage. Check it out. It is about 12x6x3 and comes with ~4' leads. Joe
Gaiko wrote:

Gaiko ha scritto:

Your're looking for a IUoU battery charger, in a short word. You might want to google that word as well. It means: charge at maximum (but limited) Intensity, than top off using voltage controlled charge (U is the letter used to define electric difference of potential), than stop (0 changed in a non capital 'o'), than trickle charge, i.e. keep it at maximum voltage without overcharging or 'boiling' the acid. Than you might find a lot of more sofisticated charging cycles: any combination of those letters fits your description, as far as it starts with the above mentioned combination.