Best Winter Tire for SLK

Hello, I need to buy winter tire since winter is at the door.
I have as mesure rear: 245/40/17 - and front: 225/45/17
Do you suggest me Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop or others?
thank you. :)
As an additional reference you might consult your user manual or your MB dealer.
DAS
Il Sun, 3 Oct 2004 11:12:58 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

Thank You... User Manual do not have any drive experience on weels testing and features
User manual refer infos to many year ago! Weels are quite differents by that time.
I don't think Barrichello goes to the Ferrari dealer near his house to choose the right tires for the next GP.
Anyway... thank's for your info.
MB is not Ferrari, you are probably not Barrichello (or Schumacher).
DAS
Il Sun, 3 Oct 2004 13:33:10 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

One more time you are not getting the point. No big deal.
I suggest you look into Nokian Hakkapelita snow tires... I have them and I swear by them... I have been using them for 4 years now... before that was Bridgestone Blizzak and Pirelli snow tire... the Hakka is best of the bunch.
scritto:

Best in the snow or rain?
Why do you cosider Nokian the best?
I'll ask the prices for them. Do you know if they have a web site?
Thank You :)
http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/index.html
I like the Nokian because they last a long time... I would estimate that you get 3x more treadlife than Blizzak. Blizzak only last half of the tread (the rest is just all season tire traction). Hakka is all snow... all the way down to nothing... well almost.
Grabs just as good as Bridgestone Blizzak in ice, snow and rain...
Rides alot better than Blizzak... Blizzak rides like a rubbery feeling traction and steering... very numb. Hakka is very precise, great steering response.
scritto:

I looked for the Nokian... they do not have my tires size. Only the front tires.
Blizzak LM-22 have the right size for both front and back tires. Neither Micheline nor Pirelli have the right size. :((
Why?! :(

You need to use the same size on all 4 wheels with snow tires!
Marty
Il Sun, 3 Oct 2004 21:58:45 -0700, Martin Joseph

Why? I don't if I can! Changing size here it is illegal. I have to ask if I can use smallest tires from the one signed on the car tech log book

tire, then the track made by the front wheel will cause the rear end to skate.
I grew up in Buffalo NY, and my tire guy there conviced me of this fact...

Basically with snows the smaller the contact patch, the higher the kilos per square cm (less sq cm). This means more ability to compress snow (ie grip).
Of course on dry ground the opposite is true.
marty
Il Mon, 4 Oct 2004 09:11:20 -0700, Martin Joseph

Good point of view :)

Does make any influence even the tire pressure I guess then... isn't it?

What about rain? Are them good for rain as well as for the snow?
I am assuming you got the staggered set on your car now... what is the stock wheel and sizes? Check with your garage on this topic... for snow it is best to go with the smallest tire you can get on all four wheel... that is usually the stock tire size.