Biodiesel conversion kit for 80 300SD

Well all this talk about biodiesel got me to thinking about a kit for the 300SD Turbo engine that I have on my garage floor!What does this kit run for and consist of and who offers the BEST kit?

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:46:17 -0700, CaptainW116 wrote:

http://frybrid.com/test.htm

You might not even need a kit. Get a source of used oil and filter it well and just drive on it. I drive sometimes on new canola which can clog up injectors but burned oil is no problem. Once oil has gone through transesterification to get rid of the glycerine it is referred to as biodiesel.
Check out this book which explains it all
(Amazon.com product link shortened)573&link_code=as1
cp
hi cp, I too am in Vancouver area, Port Moody. we should get together sometime and compare notes. my car is a 1980 300D, running V75D. (Veg 75% Diesel).
send me a private email to karma at canada dot com.
cheers, Dave.

You might not even need a kit. Get a source of used oil and filter it well and just drive on it. I drive sometimes on new canola which can clog up injectors but burned oil is no problem. Once oil has gone through transesterification to get rid of the glycerine it is referred to as biodiesel.
Check out this book which explains it all
(Amazon.com product link shortened)573&link_code=as1
cp

Hope this helps http://www.noendpress.com/caleb/biodiesel/#intro JB
Hi, I am the Business Developer for a company that sells Biodiesel. For a Mercedes you do not need a conversion kit. You can mix bio at any ratio with reg diesel also. I have a 1982 300sd that runs great with b100 as well as many others. The only thing you will have to do is change your fuel filter after a few tanks as the bio will clean all the gunk from the fuel lines and clog. It is a solvent and lubricant as well. After that your engine will be cleaned also . So you may want to carry a few filters in the glove box just in case. Sometimes rust deposits clog up even after a long period of use. In cold weather you may have a cold start as the fuel is thicker. If you have any questions.....please ask.
"Hi, I am the Business Developer for a company that sells Biodiesel. For a Mercedes you do not need a conversion kit. You can mix bio at any ratio
with reg diesel also. I have a 1982 300sd that runs great with b100 as well as many others. The only thing you will have to do is change your fuel filter after a few tanks as the bio will clean all the gunk from the fuel lines and clog. It is a solvent and lubricant as well. After that your engine will be cleaned also . So you may want to carry a few filters in the glove box just in case. Sometimes rust deposits clog up even after a long period of use. In cold weather you may have a cold start as the fuel is thicker. If you have any questions.....please ask. "
Doesn't a lot of this depend on what exactly the "biodiesel" is? One of the main purposes of the conversion kits is to allow switching back to regular diesel to fill the fuel lines so that the car will still start when it's 5 - 20F in the winter. At those temps, with many biodiesel products, without the switchover, you wouldn;t have a cold start, you would have a no start.
Are there any industry standards for biodiesel viscosity/pourability? Without that or knowing that you will always be able to buy from the same supplier, in a place with reasonably cold winters, I would think you would in fact need the conversion kit.