Biodiesel powered around the world boat.

Don't know if anyone is interested but saw this biodiesel powered boat in Oceanside as the crew was making a tour prior to an attempt to set a new around the world power boat record. It looks like something out of Star Wars
and the guys were all very friendly and answered all of my questions...all of which they have probably answered hundreds of times before. I use WVO in both of my MB diesels and they were very interested although they are using commercial biodiesel for their attempt. Incidentally, this boat is capable of piercing straight through large waves rather than riding up over them. Extremely unusual to have water some 6 or 7 meters over the top of the cockpit. Check it out.
www.earthrace.net
Ernesto wrote:

Yes, I wonder how they do the "don't get water in the air-intake" bit, as the air-intakes look like they would still get submerged.
But those cummins engines are nice, they have both "drive=by-wire" and manual throttle. They are CDI engines, if I'm not mistaken.
www.cmdmarine.com
Regards, ws
ws wrote:

Lots of Bio diesel info at http://www.biowillie.com /.
The boat looks like it was inspired by the sub in League of Extrodinary Gentelemen.
.
greek_philosophizer wrote:

Unfortunately, there always seems to be a downside.
It's very nice to be able to use waste oil in this way, but if demands really grow, and "fresh" bio-fuels are in demand, whither the environmental consequenses?
Regards. ws

In fact the two vertical wings do become submerged when they plow through very high waves. However, the venturi effect apparently creates enough of a pocket behind the wings to keep a lot of water from entering. Even at that some water does enter from time to time but the vents are not connected directly to the air intake of the engines. Any water that does enter the rear of the wings collects in an area somewhere down in the bilge where it is immediately pumped out. The air intakes of the engines can therefore be located some distance from the point where the wings connect to the hull. I understand the engine exhausts are also located in the rear of these vertical wings. All in all IMHO this is one clever design.