Block Heater trouble

I have an 83 300SD, and when I plug in the block heater, it trips the GFI outlet that I have it plugged in to. I know it is neither the cord or the outlet that is the problem. Thanks for the help!

anahataray via CarKB.com wrote:

Sounds like the heater has a short with enough leakage current to trip the GFCI and needs to be replaced. You could also try running an extension cord to another GFCI circuit and see what happens, but I would expect it's going to trip too.
Check the wire and make sure there is no cuts or obvious short. You can do a simple test of resistance with a multimeter... if it is very low resistance... then you got a short.

Next step is replace the block heater cable (from underneath the car). It's a $5 mail order part or $50 at the dealer or something like that. That SHOULD fix it as the cords to seem to short out with age - they harden and crack then a bit of water gets in there.
Oh yeah. BTDT. I have like 3 spares of that part now. Just in case.