Blower Mechanism

Hi All
I'm concerned about the blower mech. in my '98 C Class, wherever the blower speed control is set I only seem to get a 'gentle breeze' from the vents. I
can hear the blower motor change speed significantly so I fairly sure it's not that, I wonder whether the direction control is stuck and diverting the majority of the blown air elsewhere or blocking it completely.
This wasn't a huge problem 'til the frosty mornings arrived and of course it takes forever to defrost the windscreen and I get real cold feet because there's little warm air flowing to the footwells.
Has anyone else experienced this?
I don't know how to get behind the dash to see if the direction control is moving freely or not, it does feel kind of sloppy but there is clearly some change in direction as I turn the dial, just not much. I don't have the Haynes book of lies for this car, apparently there isn't one for this exact model.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
Robbiedoo
--
1998 C230 Kompressor Sport

Well, that was a few hours ago
I got under the glove box and removed a filter from next to the blower motor. It seems to have improved the airflow but I'm not sure a new filter will cure it. Does air really pass through the paper filter as though it wasn't there? (assuming the filter is clean)
Anyhow, all the parts centres are closed now until Monday. Any thoughts in the meantime?

I think maybe Karl has mentioned before that not keeping a clean filter there can cause additional destruction...
Filter seems to have cured it
Thanks
Rob

embe che c?

The air is certainly going to move a little slower with a clean filter in place than if you didn't have one at all, that's just basic physics, but the engine was designed and engineered to be run with a filter, not without, so your best performance would be with one.
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 12:51:19 GMT you wrote:

I had problem similar with my E class. The electronic speed regulator was destroyed. It's mounted on the metal cage from the fan. There are two ways: Replace the fan and the regulator for app. 500 or buy the regulator and drill holes, tap, some filing and soldering.
Marcus E320 '96 LPG