Blower Mechanism

Hi All

I'm concerned about the blower mech. in my '98 C Class, wherever the blower speed control is set I only seem to get a 'gentle breeze' from the vents. I can hear the blower motor change speed significantly so I fairly sure it's not that, I wonder whether the direction control is stuck and diverting the majority of the blown air elsewhere or blocking it completely.

This wasn't a huge problem 'til the frosty mornings arrived and of course it takes forever to defrost the windscreen and I get real cold feet because there's little warm air flowing to the footwells.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I don't know how to get behind the dash to see if the direction control is moving freely or not, it does feel kind of sloppy but there is clearly some change in direction as I turn the dial, just not much. I don't have the Haynes book of lies for this car, apparently there isn't one for this exact model.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Robbiedoo

Reply to
Robbiedoo

Well, that was a few hours ago

I got under the glove box and removed a filter from next to the blower motor. It seems to have improved the airflow but I'm not sure a new filter will cure it. Does air really pass through the paper filter as though it wasn't there? (assuming the filter is clean)

Anyhow, all the parts centres are closed now until Monday. Any thoughts in the meantime?

Reply to
Robbiedoo

I had problem similar with my E class. The electronic speed regulator was destroyed. It's mounted on the metal cage from the fan. There are two ways: Replace the fan and the regulator for app. 500 ? or buy the regulator and drill holes, tap, some filing and soldering.

Marcus E320 '96 LPG

Reply to
Jack ElTako

I think maybe Karl has mentioned before that not keeping a clean filter there can cause additional destruction...

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Filter seems to have cured it

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
Robbiedoo

embe che c?è "Robbiedoo" ha scritto nel messaggio news:ERALf.59826$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...

Reply to
Antonio renzi

The air is certainly going to move a little slower with a clean filter in place than if you didn't have one at all, that's just basic physics, but the engine was designed and engineered to be run with a filter, not without, so your best performance would be with one.

Reply to
wolfpuppy