BMW3 or MB C class

I have to make a decision which one to buy. What do you think?

Reply to
2ib

It might depend a lot on *which* C-class and *which* 3-series you are considering. I was given a C240 loaner the other day. It seemed more Honda-ish than Benz-ish. The engine was peppy but noisy at highway speed (could have used another gear) and the front suspension squeaked when going over speed bumps. It handled fine, but it wasn't all that comfortable to drive. But considering that it was a loaner I didn't expect any bells or whistles.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

BMW320d or C220 CDI

Reply to
2ib

My Dad has a C220. I drove a 320d for a short while.

- Fuel economy better on C220 in my experience.

- Rear seat leg room slightly better on a C220, but still not massive.

- Engine much more quiet on C220 especially when cold and/or on motorway.

- Plenty of zip with either.

- No mechanical or electrical problems with either.

- Internal fittings better looking on C220 BUT actually I think they're not as tough in the long term; could be an issue if you have kids.

- Boot (=trunk) similar size, but I fancy slightly better access on 320d. Not ideal on either to be honest but I like my ML350...

- IMO Look and feel of C220 slightly less aggressive (=better) but that could be my age!

- Servicing cheaper on C220 BUT not much in it and more likely a function of our local dealers.

HTH

Reply to
David Wynne

Test drive!

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

You might also want to consider the Jaguar X-Type Diesel, it's likely to be the same price as either of the cars you are considering, the interior will be a different league and it will come fully loaded at the same price as the BMW or Mercedes Before Options.

Reply to
Alan Mudd

A WHAT?

A diesel jag-wire?

Ok, somebody shoot me now.

Richard, Jacking in from the under a rock port

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Shocking I know, I'm going through this process at the moment, My wife just sold Her 2005 X-Type petrol simply becasue the fuel consumption was appalling, we'd have a diesel straight away except they don't do an auto.

She just bought a Mini Cooper Park Lane Auto instead.....not my car but it gets her about and I was surprised how comfortable it actually is, it just feels like I'm in a very confined space!

She was loaned a BMW 320i whilst her car was being prepared, it drives great, it's fast, but to me it looks ugly and the fit and finish in the cabin could have been straight out of any Asian car, the plastics were cheap looking and bad fitting, and this was a brand new vehicle.

I'm now sold on Audi, I'm probably going for an A4 Avant 3.0 TDi Quattro Auto, it really flies along, is only slightly slower than the 3.2 petrol and averages 32 mpg on a combined driving pattern, Holds it's value so is a good vehicle to lease through my business.

I just found Mercedes 3rd on my list for a 270 CDi estate and BMW is so ugly I just wouldn't buy one ( and I think they're overpriced).

There are better vehicle out there for the money than either the Merc or the BMW at this level.

(But I still run a Vito 115 CDi for business also) an auto of course...:-)

Alan M

Reply to
Alan Mudd

And bus wheels seem awfully large...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

You're not wrong there, I felt like I was sitting on the floor and 50 mph felt like 90!

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Tough choice.

320d manual if you want sporty - better balanced, more revvy and more petrol like to drive.

C220 if you want an auto - the autobox in mercedes cars is still the best around.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yep, a diesel, front drive, manual, four cylinder Jag. Often found with cloth interiors! Most of them are just plain crap.

S type and XJ available in the UK/EU with a 2.7 V6 twin turbo diesel that is very very good and comes with an autobox.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp
2ib wrote: > I have to make a decision which one to buy. What do you think?

The respected German magazine, auto motor und sport (Issue #5, 15. February 2006) did a comparison test involving BMW 325i, Mercedes-Benz C230, and Lexus IS250. The verdict is that Mercedes-Benz took the first place with BMW and Lexus in close second and distant third place respectively. Very surprising news as BMW traditionally bested Mercedes-Benz in many categories and for years.

Here's the result of comparison test:

Dimension (out of 100 points) Mercedes-Benz 67 BMW 63 Lexus 64

Dashboard and Instrumentation (50) Mercedes-Benz 42 BMW 39 Lexus 42

Driving Comfort (100) Mercedes-Benz 88 BMW 76 Lexus 64

Drivetrain (100) Mercedes-Benz 61 BMW 69 Lexus 53

Driving Dynamic (100) Mercedes-Benz 74 BMW 81 Lexus 68

Brakes (40) Mercedes-Benz 32 BMW 36 Lexus 32

Environmental Consideration (50) Mercedes-Benz 30 BMW 29 Lexus 28

Cost (100) Mercedes-Benz 89 BMW 88 Lexus 73

Total (640) Mercedes-Benz 483 BMW 481 Lexus 424

Reply to
OM

The other good thing reported there is that Zetsche is driving the company back to pure vehicle manufacturing and is likely to sell the EADS aerospace share in 2007, when the disposal is tax-free.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

But in drivetrain, driving dynamic and brakes (which to me is what driving is about) BMW bests the Mercedes. For size, comfort, cost you might as well get a Lincoln Towncar. :)

Howard

1972 280 SEL 4.5
Reply to
Howard Nelson