BOSCH EURO-HEADLIGHTS

I had assumed all euro-headlights were made of tempered glass, with all the talk of using 80- 100 watt bulbs. Wouldn't high wattage bulbs melt or distort the plastic lens? My replacement lens just arrived, box marked Bosch, is plastic ...or lexan. what should it be glass or plastic?.........I never really checked

Reply to
r parris

The stock wattage (60 watts, I think) is more than adequate unless you intend to be doing brain surgery on the asphalt in front of your car. I recently converted my 300D to Bosch Euros with the stock bulbs and I'm very satisfied. Higher wattage risks blinding on-coming traffic, which you'd like to avoid, even if you'd get a good look at your assailant before you were struck.

Phil

'84 Euro 300D with Bosch conversions '85 300D with Bosch lights as originals

I had assumed all euro-headlights were made of tempered glass, with

Reply to
Phil Andrus

For what car? Was the old one glass?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

properly aimed headlamps will not blind the driver coming at you.

i had 120 watt low & hi beam H4s in my 84SD with no one flashing theres at me

they were the glass Euro's

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

Where did you buy the lens from? Does the replacement part have Bosch trademark stamped on it? Part number that match the box?

Reply to
Tiger

Yes, the BOSCH euro-headlights ordered from Bekkers, and installed years ago are glass, and almost 1/2 inch thick . The lens is broken in an upside down Y pattern, but still in place in the frame. The car is '92 190E, the lens has these numbers 023444R19 BOSCH HCR

Reply to
r parris

You're not driving the car, right? You'll buger up the reflector if you do.

I've never heard of plastic euroglass replacements. Sounds dicey.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Comparing plastic to lexan is like comparing cotton to kevlar. Lexan is almost totally unbreakable.

Reply to
curmudgeon

But easily pitted.

Reply to
Tiger

And totally vulnerable to the UV and infrared radiation. Come to Arizona and the America West. You'll see many, many, many, many, many, many 'jaundiced' headlamps. Once they're yellowed, they're done for unless you have intricate procedure of polishing off the thin yellow film.

I've managed to break the Ford Taurus headlamp lense with hammer one bored night. Ah, it's not indestructible as Ford claims them to be. I've seen many Ford vehicles with Lexan headlamps broken or cracked after the collision.

Oliver

Reply to
OM

OK, but what about the contacts? How often did you replace them?

Helar

Reply to
Helar Laasik

never had to in the 3 years i had it and 3 years later i still see it on the road here

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

oops the car had them in it from day one so there was no rigging it.

even had the city lights

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man