BOSCH EURO-HEADLIGHTS

I had assumed all euro-headlights were made of tempered glass, with all the talk of using 80- 100 watt bulbs. Wouldn't high wattage bulbs melt or distort the plastic lens? My replacement lens just arrived,
box marked Bosch, is plastic ...or lexan. what should it be glass or plastic?.........I never really checked
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (r parris) wrote:
The stock wattage (60 watts, I think) is more than adequate unless you intend to be doing brain surgery on the asphalt in front of your car. I recently converted my 300D to Bosch Euros with the stock bulbs and I'm very satisfied. Higher wattage risks blinding on-coming traffic, which you'd like to avoid, even if you'd get a good look at your assailant before you were struck.
Phil
'84 Euro 300D with Bosch conversions '85 300D with Bosch lights as originals
I had assumed all euro-headlights were made of tempered glass, with

For what car? Was the old one glass?
properly aimed headlamps will not blind the driver coming at you.
i had 120 watt low & hi beam H4s in my 84SD with no one flashing theres at me
they were the glass Euro's
the case, minus a few cans!
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:50:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (pool man) wrote:

Helar
never had to in the 3 years i had it and 3 years later i still see it on the road here
<its a small island>
the case, minus a few cans!
oops the car had them in it from day one so there was no rigging it.
even had the city lights
the case, minus a few cans!
Yes, the BOSCH euro-headlights ordered from Bekkers, and installed years ago are glass, and almost 1/2 inch thick . The lens is broken in an upside down Y pattern, but still in place in the frame. The car is '92 190E, the lens has these numbers 023444R19 BOSCH HCR

You're not driving the car, right? You'll buger up the reflector if you do.
I've never heard of plastic euroglass replacements. Sounds dicey.
Where did you buy the lens from? Does the replacement part have Bosch trademark stamped on it? Part number that match the box?
Comparing plastic to lexan is like comparing cotton to kevlar. Lexan is almost totally unbreakable.

But easily pitted.
Hello,
curmudgeon wrote:

And totally vulnerable to the UV and infrared radiation. Come to Arizona and the America West. You'll see many, many, many, many, many, many 'jaundiced' headlamps. Once they're yellowed, they're done for unless you have intricate procedure of polishing off the thin yellow film.
I've managed to break the Ford Taurus headlamp lense with hammer one bored night. Ah, it's not indestructible as Ford claims them to be. I've seen many Ford vehicles with Lexan headlamps broken or cracked after the collision.
Oliver