Bose in SL (R230)

I recently bought a new SL (model R230) with Bose speakers option. Is anyone else not satisfied with the sound or could something not be installed correct in my car ? Or is this a general issue ? I think the sound is lacking warmth & deepness, low tones seem really cut off and not really up to what someone could expect from Bose. If this is really what Bose is supposed to sound in a SL, are there better alternatives ?

Thanks, Bruno

Reply to
Bruno Fierens [tmssoftware.com]

LOL! Mercedes Bose is a total waste of money. Indistinguishable from the "standard" sound. And wait till the amplifier blows up! My car was off the road for two weeks when it blew up and they couldn't find the spare part. they wouldn't give my car back as they had already dismantleed the whole thing! Bose is a total waste of money. Just write it off and forget about t - until it blows up....

Reply to
Ric

I have a Bose in our EClass (W210) and find that it a very good system considering the compromises most OEM systems face. I have installed custom systems in many of our cars and do not think I could do much better than the Bose without a lot more money and/or interior mods for a larger sub setup. Assuming your music tastes do not demand deep pounding bass, I would suggest making sure your system is set up and working right.

First check you fade and balance settings.

If the lows sound cut off, you may have something wrong with the bass section of your system. This could be a bad sub(s) or there may be something wrong with the low pass filtering which is likely inside the amplifier, or the sub amplifier itself.

You can upgrade speakers in this system if necessary. And if you are out of warranty, you can and find replacement parts on eBay, and there are repirs shops on the WWW that will repair your amps if necessary.

Autosound has a series of CDs that run various tones though the various speakers. These are very useful for finding out where the problem is, and for setting up a system.

Reply to
Scott D

....I too opted for the Bose Sound System on a new C-Class this Sept

  1. I am very disappointed as it sounds no better than the normal system. There's no mid-range and the only thing I can complement is that it doesn't distort as much as the normal system. I'm taking the car to a dealers to get it checked out but have little faith in them being able to improve anything. I wonder what my rights are to get it replaced?
Reply to
Bimal