Bose in SL (R230)

I recently bought a new SL (model R230) with Bose speakers option. Is anyone else not satisfied with the sound or could something not be installed correct in my car ?
Or is this a general issue ? I think the sound is lacking warmth & deepness, low tones seem really cut off and not really up to what someone could expect from Bose. If this is really what Bose is supposed to sound in a SL, are there better alternatives ?
Thanks, Bruno

LOL! Mercedes Bose is a total waste of money. Indistinguishable from the "standard" sound. And wait till the amplifier blows up! My car was off the road for two weeks when it blew up and they couldn't find the spare part. they wouldn't give my car back as they had already dismantleed the whole thing! Bose is a total waste of money. Just write it off and forget about t - until it blows up....
I have a Bose in our EClass (W210) and find that it a very good system considering the compromises most OEM systems face. I have installed custom systems in many of our cars and do not think I could do much better than the Bose without a lot more money and/or interior mods for a larger sub setup. Assuming your music tastes do not demand deep pounding bass, I would suggest making sure your system is set up and working right.
First check you fade and balance settings.
If the lows sound cut off, you may have something wrong with the bass section of your system. This could be a bad sub(s) or there may be something wrong with the low pass filtering which is likely inside the amplifier, or the sub amplifier itself.
You can upgrade speakers in this system if necessary. And if you are out of warranty, you can and find replacement parts on eBay, and there are repirs shops on the WWW that will repair your amps if necessary.
Autosound has a series of CDs that run various tones though the various speakers. These are very useful for finding out where the problem is, and for setting up a system.
..............................Scott D

....I too opted for the Bose Sound System on a new C-Class this Sept 03. I am very disappointed as it sounds no better than the normal system. There's no mid-range and the only thing I can complement is that it doesn't distort as much as the normal system. I'm taking the car to a dealers to get it checked out but have little faith in them being able to improve anything. I wonder what my rights are to get it replaced?
<<< There's no mid-range>>>
First, have you gone through all of your fade, balance and equalizer settings? Next do not necessarily assume it is just a poorly designed system that has to be trashed and replaced - you may end up far more dissatisfied with an aftermarket system.
<<<I wonder what my rights are to get it replaced>>>
Like any other warranty claim which, on the surface, seems subjective, it will be a battle. My personal opinion is that if MB was interested in customer satisfaction, they would indeed replace it or refund your money regardless. But, back to reality :-)................Since your complaint is more than "I just do not like the sound", start by proving that the mid-range frequencies are flat. If you have access to an oscilloscope and a signal generator, you (or a professional shop) could prove this very easily. If you do not, get the Autosound2000 CDs. They have various tracks & frequencies you can play at specific volumes and are used to set up filters, crossovers and amplifiers. If your mids are flat or attenuated, you will be able to spot the exact frequency range with these CDs. You can get them in a set at Crutchfields or you can contact http://www.autosound2000.com/Products/cds/index.htm to get the specific CDs you need.
Once you have the proof, the dealer might be willing to look harder for a setup, amplifier or filter problem. It is unlikely that you components have adjustable crossovers, in which case the dealer will have to replace components to find the culprit. If all the filters and amplifiers are functioning well, there is a very good chance you could fix your mids with upgraded midrange speakers (appx $150-$200) and/or an added speaker-level amplifier. Speakers is usually one area carmakers compromise on. I replaced the midrange speakers in our Volvo sound system this way and it made an amazing difference for the money. Talk to a high-end audio shop about some incremental upgrades to your system.
If your are convinced you just can't live with the sound, take your proof and start talking your way up the MB USA chain, starting with the manager of the dealership. Remain polite and objective, Remember, if there is no functional problem with the system - no one is ever going to admit to a design defect. So try and negotiate the best deal you can.
If you do decide to replace the system, do your homework and find a professional high-end shop to do the work. Newer vehicles have sophisticated interfaces to the car systems, and things like optical buses. Aftermarket components sometimes require interior/sheetmetal mods so you want someone who knows and respects your Benz. And expect to pay! The Bose system in our E320 is not perfect but I would easily spend $3000+ replace it with something better. And - my experience is that you still do not know exactly how it will sound 'til its done - then what if you are not happy?
Scott D.

someone
better