Brake Bleeding Troubles

Hello, 1988 Wagon 300 TE w/ABS

This weekend I changed all 4 caliperss, new Pads, new Rotors.

I tried bleeding the system and I get nothing but air.

I found a loose brake line to a front caliper and tigntened it.

I still get no pedal while trying to pump and bleed.

Today, I put in a new Master Cylinder and filled the brake lines from the master cylinder end before connecting the master cylinder, I used a fluid injector.

Hooked up the master cylinder and tried to bleed the system. The brake fluid I had loaded the system with pumped through and now all I have is air.

I cannot find any leaks. This is the first ABS system I have worked on and do not know if that is causing me difficulties or not.

Has anyone had similiar difficulties with a '88 or so 300 series with ABS?

Les

Reply to
JoJo Dancer

Your problem may be that you don't have enough fluid in the brake master cylinder. If it's anything like on my '92 300E then it has 2 chambers & you need to make sure you have enough fluid in to reach both chambers, otherwise the empty one will allow air into the system.

Let us know if this helps.

Chris

Reply to
crgill

It's nice to have an assistant who can monitor this and keep the reservoir full...

Are the calipers getting tight by the way?

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Have you tried using a pressure bleeding system? The one I use (although I admit I haven't used it on a car with ABS) uses air from the spare tyre to force fluid through the brake pipes. It works very well, just make sure that there are no leaks or brake fluid gets sprayed everywhere!

They should be available at any decent car accessory shop.

Reply to
Stratman

this is true. It helps to have an assistant topping off the reservoir. If it goes down 3/4" it will take on air.

Reply to
JB