brake caliper - a question

I just changed a brake caliper on my w123 280e. My manual said to rotate the piston so the step on the face bearing on the pad should be at a specific angle. I couldn't move the piston to the required angle
so just stuck it on as it was. What will happen?
tia
Antony
Does the step perform any function like lock onto the pad? If no, wont make the any difference which angle the piston is facing.

Never heard of such thing on MB... you are fine... rebuilt calipers or new are ready to mount with no further actions necessary.