Brake Disc Replacement ('79 300SD)

Hi guys,
It looks like I'll have to change my brake discs pretty soon, but I'm not quite sure how to do it. I think I can manage to get the caliper off, but that's about it, and the
repair manuals seem to be a bit sketchy on this. Where do I go from there? What about the bearings / grease? Do I just put a new disc on and that's it? Thanks for the help,
Daniel
i was told that the pads can be changed with out the calipers been removed.
they just slid out once the pins are pulled but do not know how to push the pistons back?
the case, minus a few cans!
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 17:54:21 -0400 (EDT) snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN) wrote:

support the disc from one side and use something handy as a lever on the other side to push the piston back. Then do the same on the first side. That's easy :-)
Helar
Pads or discs?

"Discs" is my first guess as the poster did mention disc!
2nd clue was that he had to remove the caliper... *usually*, calipers don't require removing to put on the pads and the sensor..
R Green Tech Support -------------- WoWsat.com --------------

to remove the rotor, first remove caliper,remove center dust cover,loosen allen screw on clamp type hub nut, loosen nut, outer bearing will fall out when you pull the rotor off,so take it off so it doesn't fall on the ground, put it in a baggy or somewhere clean, the rotor will have to come off of the hub,its held on with five large allen screws, get the one that fits your 1/2" drive rachet,you will probably need a breaker bar,the book calls for a vise but i bolted mine back onto the wheel and tire and had someone stand on the tire while i loosened the bolts,worked very well,you should inspect bearings and repack and check seals, put hub, rotor and caliper back on and adjust bearings,thats the part i hate, never know if im getting it just right,i tighten the nut down to seat the bearings, then back it off till the wheel spins fairly easy,then then grab the tire at 12 and 6 oclock and check for play,you don't want it too tight or too loose. mark
Daniel - With all due respect to you, if you have to ask this type of question, you really shouldn't be doing the work. Changing brake disc pads is one thing (can be fairly easy for a DIY'er) but changing brake disc rotors is a little more involved. The allen head bolts that hold the rotors to the wheel hub can be difficult to remove. But, that being said, in addition to the method Mark outlined, I usually covered the bearing "openings" with disposable surgical gloves to prevent any debris front getting in there while I was clamping the rotor or wrenching out the allen bolts. Lots of flaky rust in and around those discs.
Good Luck,
Eric Svendson