brake dust

I have a 1994 MB C220 which is bad for depositing black brake dust on the alloy rims particularly the front ones, when cleaned they are covered in the stuff again within 2 weeks of occaisional use. I have also noticed that some small particles of this material has become embedded into the alloy and cannot be removed by washing or scrubbing. Does anyone know how to cure the problem or provide a remedy to limit damage to the alloys?

Reply to
landscape

I asked this question of a MB mechanic and he said it was because of cheap brake pads. I have the most expensive type on my 240D and have no problems with dust while my wife's 300D has terrible dust problem with inexpensive pads from Pep Boys. Your guess?

Reply to
The earnest one

"landscape" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

You needn't identify the year and model :-)

Lobby your Congressman to relegalize asbestos brake pads.

Reply to
ArchieLeach

"The earnest one" wrote in news:o1Ccd.31808$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

Care to be more specific concerning "the most expensive type"? Surely you don't mean OEM from the dealer. Ceramic, maybe?

Reply to
ArchieLeach

Choose Axxis or PBR brake pads... they are alot less dusty than OEM.

Reply to
Tiger

One can buy "KleenWheels" - disks with or without small vents that nest inside the wheel and cover the brake caliper and rotor.

Reasonable drivers have had no problems with them causing brake fade but, of course, some hot dog drivers here will malign the KleenWheels as interfering with their brakes' performance.

I've used them for years, exactly for the reasons you cite, and never had a problem - but then I drive reasonably - like most old farts.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Correct.

Reply to
The earnest one

Umm....perhaps get a new mechanic? It's because MB uses soft pads to give a nice pedal feel and they need no warm up time. Richard

Reply to
marlinspike

Pabst Blue Ribbon brake pads?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I had the "Kleen Wheels" on my '94 SL for about a month, and they did work well. A trip around the block (I live in the woods... big blocks here!) used to be sufficient to dirty up the wheels, but they did remain clean when the guards were installed.

Unfortunately, they also filled the open space one normally sees when looking at/through the wheels, giving my pristine alloy wheels the appearance of cheap hubcaps! I could not bear the sight of my baby being humiliated with the look of hubcaps, so yanked 'em out and gave them to a fellow MB owner who is less persnickety than I about those sorts of things!

Paul (also an old fart! :o)

Reply to
Paul Hyndman