brake pad light

The low brake pad warning light came on in my 300SDL yesterday, but i am not sure it is working correctly. It flickers when i first apply the brakes, then goes out while i am still braking. Other times it
will not come on until i have come to a complete stop and will stay on while i am stopped, but if i let off the brake and roll forward the light will not come on again when i re-apply the brake. It sometimes flickers lightly when i am driving and not applying the brakes at all. Is this a faulty reading by a sensor or bad light or something wrong with the brake system?      TIA, Shannon 86 300sdl 281k 80 450sl 216k
It will act like this until it comes to a point. At that point, the light will be on at all times. When that happens you NEED to have the brake pads changed, so might as well do it soon. Richard

Believe it or not, that is normal behaviour. The pad has worn down so that the wear detector is *just* touching the disc, but it will be intermittent as minor local variations in the disc surface sometimes mean that it will not touch it, hence the light will not come on. Change the pads before you get metal to metal contact. Ouch. DD
Yes. I see it too.
DAS --
My 89' 560SEL is in for service today for the exact same reason.
--
Dr. Munib Mundia, M.B.,B.S.
"Dori Schmetterling" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
Mine was going to be in for service, but then when I called my dealer they said it will cost me $419 to install 4 sets of pads, I called my independant mechanic, and he said $247...so it looks like I'll be doing this myself...I hate no having a lift, and I hate summer temps. Richard

on
all.

they
Ahh, you know what I meant. Even the independant mechanic wants $247...I'll be doing it myself now, just waiting for the pads to come in. Richard
Out there every shopd just play safe, cause they have the responsibility (legally) to make sure you drive in a safe vehicle. Of course this is an excuse they rob you. If you have a c-class or e-class (looks similar to c-class to me) buy a Haynes C-class repairing manual will help.
Keith Beast
be8gah$g7h$ snipped-for-privacy@bob.news.rcn.net...

$247...I'll