Brake Problem - '87 420SEL

Two months ago I had the front brake pads and rotors replaced. The brakes had worked well up to that time, and I had been getting 50K miles or so between brake pad changes.

Then starting a couple days after the new pads and rotors were installed the front brakes developed a shudder which became worse when the brakes got hot. I went back to the shop and they turned down the rotors slightly to eliminate uneveness. The brakes were fine for a couple weeks, but now they are getting the shudders again.

What's the best thing to do now? If the shop turns them down again I'll just lose more rotor life. Is there a brand of rotors that tends to have this problem? Could the problem be something other than the rotors?

George

Reply to
George

Your description suggests that Brand X rotors were installed, a lower than OEM quality rotor. That's why they warp.

Turning the rotors a second time will reduce their useful lives, as you point out, but you're already in bed with them, so to speak.

IMHO, if the shudder occurs after a second grinding the rotors ought to be replaced - they're just lousy rotors.

Good, OEM quality rotors ARE available.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Shaving rotor is never useful... rotors are cheap on internet so just buy new set.

Reply to
Tiger

Its bad metal.

Volvo had a problem a few years ago with their genuine parts. They had to do a major re-fit. This was in their pre-Ford era!

Just goes to show it happens to the best of em.

Cheers... Rob.

"George" wrote:

Reply to
Rob. Smith

Hot?

If the rotors get hot and you suddenly stop, they cool unevenly and warp.

Using the brakes on a long down-hill then coming to a stop will do this quite quickly. Downshift instead.

I've found ATE power disc slotted rotors work best. I've tried Balo and regular ATE.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Agree strongly.

Reply to