brake wear indicator, how much left?

At what point does the brake wear indicator come on? What percentage of pad material is left? This is on a 2002 C230. Thanks

I don't have a percentage, but seems to be pretty consistent for all the Benz' I've worked on... the light always comes on right after you pass the point that those little brake wear sensors will come out without breaking. I could usually get at least 2 of them out on each brake job, but always ordered 4... Most people 'brake on through' the sensors before they do anything about it. Unless the style has changed in the last couple years, the wearing part of the sensor is *maybe* the diameter of a wire coat-hanger. So, that's the thickness of the brake pad stopping material when the light comes on. You still have a good thick bit of metal once you're past the pad lining... and then the piston of the caliper after that... not to worry.
I would say you are at the last 10% of your brake pad. I wouldn't dare continue driving for extended time because sometime the brake rotor wears unevenly... and that 10% margin is just near the end if the rotor is worn quite abnormally.
So, then answer is... if the light comes on... better get it changed very soon.
On Fri, 28 May 2004 08:09:24 -0700, "Slash" wrote:

When it is time to replace your brake pads.
300 Essie
--
1994 Mercedes E280 [W124] 99,000 miles (R.I.P)
1992 Mercedes 300 SE [W126] 230,000 miles