Broken caliper bolt won't extract

Page 2 of 2
Believe it or not you can buy drill bits that will go right through that broken extractor. I bought a set of them at the San Diego Fairgrounds about
a year ago. I watched the guy repeatedly drill through a file, all without any cooling fluid. Anyway, he also drilled right through taps, stainless steel, etc. Here's part of the secret of using these drill bits. You need to turn them at the highest possible speed. I have a drill press that can be belted up to 3,000 rpm. It goes right through the hardest material you can imagine. As I recall I paid about $90 for a set from 1/8 inch to 1/2 inch in 1/8-inch increments. Was well worth the price since I recently had to drill three alignment holes in a 16-inch diamond saw blade for my son's granite cutting saw. If you'd like more information I can get it for you. Problem in your case is that you'd have to get a really high speed drill motor in order to get proper speed on the bit. Also, the bit really smokes and screeches when you begin drilling but it soon starts cutting right through the material. One other thing, I did have to drill out a broken 1/4-20 tap I'd broken off in a piece of steel and the drill went through it almost like butter! Hard to believe but true.

"Believe it or not you can buy drill bits that will go right through that broken extractor. I bought a set of them at the San Diego Fairgrounds about a year ago. I watched the guy repeatedly drill through a file, all without any cooling fluid. "
While these sound like a wonder tool, do you think they will really work to actually drill out a relatively small broken screw extractor lodged in a bolt in the backside of a wheel spindle? That's a lot different than drilling through a flat file on a bench. In addition to being able to hold the drill securely, the other problem is that what you're trying to now drill out is pretty damn small and irregular. The drill will typical wind up in the area betweent the broken off extractor and the bolt, then jamb and break.