Broken Stud On Wheel Of 1997 C200 Estate

I have a wheel with a sheared stud on the front nearside wheel. Can anyone kindly advise what I need to purchase with approximate UK costs to correct this, please?

Thanks in anticipation.

Reply to
Robert Hunter

First you'll need a drill and bit. You need to drill a hole as close to the center of the stud as possible. Before drilling I'd use WD40 and a few good hammer taps to try and looses the stud as much as possible. Then you'll need what I call an "easyout". An easyout is the same as a drill bit except reversed and tapered. You insert it into the hole you drilled in the stud and then as you try and turn it counterclockwise, its sharp edges dig into the metal walls of the stud thereby giving you a "grip". The cost is minimal but you don't want to get too big a diameter of an easyout. I'd see if a local garage might do it for you since the cost would be minimal too.

Reply to
John

I would just drill out the stud. Take your time, jack up the car and use a lot of cutting oil. Center punch first and use progressively larger bits until you are almost at the stud diameter. Use and unbroken stud as a comparison and only drill until you are below the bearing surface of the stud. Once you get the wheel off, you will probably be able to unscrew it by hand.If you use an easy-out and snap it off, you could end up ruining the wheel since the easy-out is carbide and you can't drill them out! Since you snapped the stud, odds are you'll do the same to the easy-out.

Torque the wheel studs to 85 ft lbs/115Nm

Dick

Reply to
sur5er