Brother offers me his 300E wagon...

My '93 BMW 525 is DOA so I'm in the market for a car. Was looking for a 300E w/ 100k miles or so. My brother bought a 300E wagon w/ 130k miles about
a year ago then received a company car. The 300E still has 130k miles and he's offered it to me to drive for a while and possibly buy.
He says the car has one major problem. It uses about 1 qt of oil per 1000 miles. He also says it doesn't leak oil or smoke.
I know its a very vague problem description buy any ideas where the oil is going?
Chip L

Wild guess: I would think about changing the Valve seals. In former time you could see blue smoke, when you went off the accelerator pedal during the ride, but today the catalytic converter may keep away most of the smoke.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Thanks Frank. Your diagnosis is the same as the one my brother recieved. The catalytic converter involvement makes sense. Really appreciate it.
How much would a valve seal job run US$
Chip L
haute in die Tasten:

Valve seals alone won't fix this if it's the guides which it probably is. Seals can be replaced in situ; for guides the head has to come off.
Around $1000 plus or minus.
Much cheaper if yo udo it yourself, maybe less than half.

If it's not leaking or smoking what are the othr possabilities? Alies are sucking it out at night?
It's smoking, just not much. Probbaly valve guides; they do that at aorund this age. Sign of not-frequent-enough oil changes.
Richard Sexton wrote:

If the car is from late 80's the guides may have a material problem and they will be ruined even with good oil.
I suggest checkin spark plugs. Some of them might be black indicating oil leakage thru the guides.
Reg: Harri

If it is valve guides and it costs $1K to fix, is it worth fixing, or can you just keep adding oil? Will the car get worse and/or eventually fail emissions testing? You can buy an awful lot of (miles of oil) for $1K...
Good point. Found out its a '92 300TE w/ 130K. I live in S. Carolina which does no emission testing ( I love the South). Talked to the local MB guru who immediately said "Valve seals" and can do the job for $250. " I do it all the time" . Even though this might be a band aid if the real problem is valve guides but maybe it will buy me a couple of years...
<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message wrote:

I don't know about doing the seals instead of the guides, but either way their is nothing wrong with adding a quart every 1000 miles. In fact, that's the guideline used by the auto industry as ok consumption (i.e. 1 quart every 1000 miles and less is technically ok). Sure, when car was new it didn't use this much, but I wouldn't worry about it. Richard
wrote:

1000

What is this guys name? I've yet to hear of a vale seal replacement that had any long lasting effect. If it's the guides you're just wasting your money. I've love to be proved wrong...
<William P.N. Smith> wrote:

If everything else is in good shape it's worth doing. Worn valve guides isn't exacly uncommon in Mercedes engines of this age. Uncommon is an understatement of epic propostion.