Bumpers "popped" on 380 SL

The American version of the 107 model have great protruding bumpers to comply w/ the 5MPH Law of no damage. Well I have looked at several other 107's and their bumpers are at least 1-1.5" closer to the body
then mine. The little horizontal black skirts between bumper and body fill the entire space and you can't see the ground. I can see the bumper cylinders and ground clearly on mine. They look like they have "popped" out. Is there a way to reset the cylinders so my bumpers are closer to the body?
Chip
No, that distance absorbs the 5 mph impact.
--

2008 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.
Tom Mills wrote:

1981
To answer Lambach- Then how come the other 107s (like above) have the bumpers closer?
Chip

I believe the difference you are seeing is between the cars produced for the US market and so called "grey market" cars, or ones imported from Europe. As well certain numbers of pre-5mph bumpers exist as well.
If it bothers you, I think it is possible to retrofit your car with "grey market" bumpers from a euro import.
Chip wrote:

Chip,
I'm not certain which position is correct, but on my '81 the bumper is sticking out, like on yours.
--
- Michael J. Astrauskas