Burl console cover

Anyone have a decent source for a burlwood console cover for a '94 SL320 I'm restoring? The dealer wants over $1200, which is a bit steep.
Canoli

You can send those in to Heritage Woodwork and they will refinish it for you. Why are you replacing it? Scratched up? Then use plastic polish to buff it up.

Thanks for the lead, the wood seems fine, but the finish is cracked in several places.
Canoli
Ahh... cracked... yep, very common. I even talked to Heritage about the wood... he said big thing is MB doesn't paint the back side... so moisture gets in there... But still he can't guarantee it won't crack again.
I've heard that Heritage might not be what it used to be, and that Madera Concepts might be better.
Why not just do a good sanding job on it and finish it off with 5 coats of a good marine grade varnish lightly sanding between coats ?
Peter

buff
Problem is people don't understand how thin the veneer is... otherwise, it becomes plywood looking.
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:23:20 -0700, "Peter W Peternouschek"

I have had a lot of experience with varnish on boats, and would follow your suggestion if I could depend on the finish standing up to exposure. Unfortunately, varnished wood exposed to sunlight for long periods (if you have a convertible the top is almost always down, even when it's cold) requires periodic attention and touch up.
Removing the console cover requires pulling the radio, AC, and gear shift, and is not the sort of job I would like to have to repeat every year or so.
Canoli

for