Buttons on Srteering Wheel shedding

THe buttons on my 2001 CLK430 Cab steering wheel are losing their transparent coating which is peeling off like clear stickey snot. Apparently something I applied to clean wheel dissolved the clear coating on the
buttons. Looks like little clear boogers around the edges and most of coating is gone. Can the buttons be replaced? Where can they be purchased except from the dealer who wants $250 + to replace.