Buying family car: question on gas mileage

I have an 85 Mercedes sedan right now. I like the diesel engine which gets about 27 mpg highway. I am sold on diesel, wouldn't even consider a conventional gas -powered vehicle. I am researching larger family-sized
vehicles (used). Is there such a thing as a diesel truck (would have to be extended cab) or a van that gets similar gas mileage, or does having ANY large family vehicle mean poor gas mileage?
The new Viano?
Saw an ad for it in a German paper last week when I was there (in Germany, not in the ad :-) )
DAS --
PS: http://www.mercedes-benz.de /
Hit Viano in left sidebar.
Different sizes to 5.22 m and eight seats. There is going to be a 3.2 l version (218 PS), no doubt still inadequate for American Traffic-Lights-Grand-Prix freaks... ;-)
DAS --