C-Class 270Cdi Auto - Rollback

Hi,

Tested a late 2001 C-Class C270CDi Auto (UK). Driving felt fine, but had to keep my foot on the brake on inclines to stop it rolling backwards (in drive, obviously). Is this normal? Older Merc didn't do this. On the flat it would creep slowly forwards as expected.

Also it's had two MB dealer services, but most recent (3rd, so major) service by the dealer selling it (unauthorised). The dealer tells me this will not invalidate the MB warranty as they used MB parts - is this correct?

Tried ringing MB for advice but fell asleep on hold.

Cheers,

Reply to
Monkeys

No, this should not invalidate the warranty. Have a look at MB's pages covering the warranty:

It states:

"mobilo-life offers a lifetime warranty - for up to 30 years - for all Mercedes-Benz cars. This is in addition to the DaimlerChrysler conditions of sale for new vehicles warranty regulations. This only applies where regular servicing has been carried out by DaimlerChrysler in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions from the fifth year after purchase. The car should have been serviced no more than two years previous to the time of the claim."

Reply to
thomas

Sorry, I must be interpreting this incorrectly; "This only applies where regular servicing has been carried out by DaimlerChrysler ... (etc)". My point being that the major service was *not* carried out by an authorised dealer. Apoligies if I've misunderstood.

I notice the site also states: "If your car is damaged as a result of work undertaken in any workshop other than a Mercedes-Benz Dealer or one authorised by DaimlerChrysler AG, you will not be covered by your mobilo-life warranty."

... and as second owner (from FAQ) ...

"Provided that the car has been regularly serviced, maintained and, where necessary, repaired by an authorised Mercedes-Benz dealer, you can enjoy the benefits of the mobilo-life warranty for the car's lifetime - up to 30 years."

Also, it's not just the mobilo-life warranty, it's still within the first 3 year warranty.

Plus, I don't really know what is involved in the first major service on a C-Class. If done improperly, i.e. inappropriate oil or failure to perform all necessary work, I'm assuming this could be detrimental to long-term reliability. The dealer selling the car performed the service post trade-in - so there is little incentive to do all the work regardless of cost. Also note the dealer is giving only a 12-week warranty but said I should use the Merc warranty anyway.

Hmm. Writing this down has cleared the mind (the heart had said YES). The search begins again...

Reply to
Monkeys

You have to read the rest of the line:

"carried out by DaimlerChrysler in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions from the fifth year after purchase"

The car is only two years old, hence the warranty is still valid.

Reply to
thomas

My C200K auto will hold or creep on all but the very steepest of hills. Sounds like something is up.

Reply to
Neil Lawson

Agreed. My C320 wagon does as well, the major exception being my own driveway!

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

I would infer from this statement that servicing must have been carried out by an approved dealer.

Reply to
miknik

I noticed some rollback on a steepish incline in my 2001 CLK 320 Cab. (Same engine/transmission as Kalman's?). Doesn't happen on my 1993 190E. I have this notion that this topic was raised here some months ago and that the consensus was that rollback happens on newer cars.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Mebbe. I do not experience it in the same driveway with my daughter's

2001 S-55. OTOH, as I am used to driving a stick, the compensation on my car comes natural.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson